Friday, February 28, 2014

5123. HERETOFORE

HERETOFORE
My father once had a '53 DeSoto. Green, dark,
and it ran like a tank. Or a bullet, I could never tell.
The difference between things  -  was never much.
It was 8 years old when he had it  -  a long time for
cars back then. It shook over 50, which was slow for
Dad. My aunt always called him a 'cowboy' behind
the wheel  -  better than behind his back I suppose.
-
The woods ran by as we drove along  -  my Uncle Eddie
had just bought some 3 or 4 acres of woodland and was about
to show us where he was going to build his house (it never came
to be) - 'after the wires were brought up here, after a sewer was 
dropped in, after the village approved his location'  -  you know
all the rest. His foundation was alcohol, so the going was unsteady.
-
Like Dad's car, a lot of things back then were shaky.

No comments: