Wednesday, February 12, 2014

5052. AND NOW WITH WHAT FELL

AND NOW WITH WHAT FELL
There are no further steps to achieve; having met
the end of aspiration I can only look back : to see
those men in the gas-masks, the others in firemen
suits, and still more  -  the priest and the insurance
broker, walking hand in hand. they're both after 
the same thing I'm afraid  -  or at least they presume
to be  -  getting you something after you're gone. 
-
The halls of fiction and all the accolades of the lance 
and the dance hall, they're nothing compared to the
inner peace of a fine parting. I will hold nothing back,
and I will leave those flowers on the mantle, in memory
of all that ever was. no sense of justice, merely a
looking back, both undetermined and undeterred.
-
When I was a child, I lived like a child, leaving marbles
on the doorstep of a friend, and a small, toy car in his
Christmas stocking. Then, as I grew, it all came to
naught  -  blood and tissue and fragment and part.
Some died, others live; war-wounds, broken wives,
vacation kingdoms burned to the ground. It's all
in the part of parting, and in the living of Life.

No comments: