Sunday, February 9, 2014

5042. AND FOR NOW THE FAINT ARE SETTLED

AND FOR NOW THE 
FAINT ARE SETTLED
Mount Scarnow, Mission Hurst, Raging Waters; each of
these places echo an acquaintance of time and memory;
for me the very same factor of quality and life. All that went
into the timings and the places is still present for me today.
I remember Glenn Larks, the boy with the yellow hair. I
still can sense Madelaine McClure and her garden airs.
Whoever says that schooling takes the time out of youth
is wrong  -  it brings more together, packs its wayward
punch so that we never forget where we have been.
Len Benjamin, walking his stones and rabble; Leo
Kirks explaining Shakespeare to me. Bob Crabble
always singing some silly song. We license 
ourselves to endings, it seems, before
we are even begun; and for now
the faint are settled.

No comments: