Thursday, February 6, 2014

5030. MAID OF THE MIST, IN MALE SONG TIME


MAID OF THE MIST,
IN MALE SONG TIME
There were old songs and rhymes I was told when
I was young that all turned out to be lies. Nothing
seemed ever true, and every tall tree fell down. I
learned soon enough life was riddles. My grandmother's
kerchief always fell to her knees while my father was
doing her nails  -  toes and fingers, grown hard and
brittle with age. I never understood any of that  -  nor
why men worshipped old Gods and then believe in
new time. The light on the horizon always rose up
with a roar  -  bellowing, gesticulating, running off.
Like cattle in a stampede, my mind took ideas and
churned them, broke them, erected Niagara Falls
and Paterson Falls together, rolling down and
over every last thing. Maid of the Mist was I.

No comments: