Tuesday, February 25, 2014

5112. MY RECITATIVE

MY RECITATIVE
Intentions like this are to cloud me over : that old
Mark Twain manuscript on display at Wave Hill
always makes me remember. He and his family stayed
there for a period of time, and this large, wide, handwritten
book is a remnant of testimony to the days he spent. I'd
like to take it someday  -  just lift it and walk away. All
those silly garden ladies would never notice. Anyway,
why it's displayed like that in a gift shop of gab is
way beyond me. Nature is swaddled in chains.
-
Here I am scrawling some more. Little lines and the
gestures of a monk : musings to some Jesus about that
which I should do, and muttered prayers for the dead, 
while illuminating a manuscript and just copying words.
God, what a paltry life is this!
-
I want to take the address of this train and let it run me down:
fifteen sodden people in their fifteen different lives, all
doing the very same thing. God, what a paltry life is this.
Even the conductor is wearing shades : to protect
him from the darkness, while adding to the gloom;
and God, what a paltry life is this.

No comments: