Wednesday, February 19, 2014

5086. HEAVENS, I TRY

HEAVENS, I TRY
And don't the marks of Hadrian's Wall and
his memories work together as one : answer
I try, though I do often miss. Mr. Kurtz, he
dead; and so now is my horror.
-
Rows and rows of apple trees  -  row and rows
all in a row. We start out as easy friends and become
encumbrances only later : to each other, reflections
of the selfsame self to be recognized in another.
The sing-song quality of things sways us, easy we
move as if pushed by the wind, or something sap-like 
flowing through our own trees and limbs.
-
I am hearing language between two people: 'fifteen
years ago in Costa Rica'  -  exchanging their nods and
tongues  -  'I can say it all now, but I couldn't then; and
now I can say it like that but I can't think it in English.
What does that mean?What does 'chula' mean?
Am I favoring something wrongly?'
-
There is a tall girl running the place  -  in black,
dispensing beverages and coffee in a new day's early
light, only now dawning. She handles tongs like
delicate tools. 'We had our first fight,' she says, 
'last night.' The two girls' laughter is mystifying
to me but  -  heavens  -  I try.

No comments: