Monday, February 24, 2014

5105. MARKSMANSHIP MERIT BADGE

MARKSMANSHIP MERIT BADGE
I got my marksmanship merit badge the same way I
got my archery merit badge and my running merit badge.
By doing. Camp Cowaw. 1959.  1960.The same years
some guy named Vinnie Moriarity got nabbed with all that
money in a Jersey City garage. I heard about that each day
at mealtime from Mr. Hill, my scoutmaster. He drank his
coffee with a very odd stiff-elbow motion. It almost looked
like something you'd do in England. Elbow way out.
-
Even back then I'd wonder about the camp counselors  -  all 
those suave and sporty college boys working camp for the 
Summer  -  and those oddly interesting late-teen girls who'd
work the camp store, selling us ice-cream bars and candy.
Little I knew, I figured they were having it on with each other
every chance they got. Otherwise, why the hell work there?
They were together, mostly alone, in the dark wooded areas
all Summer long. Good God, what's a Heaven for? I'd
love to know some of the stories I never heard.
-
Each morning, and again each evening, in the Summer heat
or cool, a few of us and whoever the track coach was, 
would walk way down to the roadway, paved, of little traffic,
and run a mile on the timed and marked out road  -  having
to meet certain criteria, over time, to merit the badge. See how
that goes? Just like those guys and the candy-sales girls.

No comments: