Saturday, February 22, 2014

5099. ESSEX FELLS

ESSEX FELLS
No, it's not just here; not Montclair either.
The train-station speedball powder puff runs;
and it's still a 1920's world. Which is why I like
the slowness : the black guy shuffling like a daisy,
seeking out the bagel shop where the two women
with the big hats, coming from church, have just 
stopped in. They sit down, stump-stooled after
their orders, with coffee and lots to talk of.
-
Everywhere I look, it's churches  -  here and there, 
a steeple and a hill, a walkway and an entrance.
Even the library windows have their stained glass
graces, and angels are flying from the parapets.
-
This thin world hides nothing  -  like veins showing
under thin white skin,. I can trace the path and see
the direction of everything. There's wonder and grace
just about everywhere now, and I find myself, 
sometimes, being a blessed man for living on.

No comments: