Thursday, February 27, 2014

5118. A BROKEN BACK AND THINGS DON'T WORK

A BROKEN BACK AND 
THINGS DON'T WORK
There's no longer any place to hide the cookies : the cookie jar
is gone and the canister's filled with candy. The lady who
comes through here cleaning always eats them anyway. I
thought of boobie-trapping her mine-shaft, but then I let
it go. She can have the damned old cookies anytime.
-
I remember one time, in Spring, two years ago, along 
some busy street in Brooklyn; a hefty Russian girl was 
sitting at the curb, begging. Or asking, passers-by for 
money. No one really paid her attention and she was, 
actually too far back, it was easy to ignore her. Between
takes, she'd go on talking to herself in a fast Russian
tongue. Then I passed her by; big mistake. She began,
in the same Russian tongue, screaming and yelling at
me, over something; for something I'd done?
-
I ignored her, as did others, but it was hard to do.
Ghost-lives have a way of popping up all around us:
who was she, perhaps some ancient czarina come back
to haunt; some crazed prophetess with the strength
of a girl Rasputin, running now riotous in our time.
-
I didn't have a handler, though I'd have liked to just
punch her out  -  who says you can't deck a girl just
for being a pain-in-the-ass. She made no distinction
about bugging me, so why should have to about her.
Above her head, the sumac and sycamores were trying
to bud; the surface breeze along the street was still
cold, though it was Spring. Maybe Spring, like St. Petersburg
or Yakaterinaville has Spring. Maybe. Maybe that's what
ticked her off and set up all that rage. Never will know now.

No comments: