Saturday, September 28, 2019

12,146. DUMANTEL

DUMANTEL
I'm nodding. Again. There's
been too much of the antic
breeze in the space around me
and it just makes me bored.
I spent two weeks polishing
a car; and three months in
solitary so far. Someone just
came by to tell me what 
I've won. There's a billboard
on the highway now with a
message that reads something
like 'If you're new here, we can
help. Assistance. Tuition. Loans.
Placement.' It goes on like that
in an off-key way. I'm not sure
who reads it really  -  there are
lots of South Asians around,
and maybe it's for them. (Who
are they anyway, all these people,
and why can't I juts say Indians
and be done with it?). I think those
are all the same services we can't 
get. How's that go? I forget.
-
Certain things are like spectral
ghosts to me; stupidly so, like 
right there, by that sign  -  there's
the Metropark Train Station, and
beneath and alongside it runs the
Garden State Parkway. And then
there's MetroPark itself  -  a
corporate center for all sorts of
mysterious things; and hotels
and lodgings too. Banquet and
wedding halls. Parking for lots
of folks with cars. I never know
who they are, but I guess they're
here. It just goes on and on, and
even the nearby Social Security
offices are filled with those damn
people in robes. How's that go?
I forget? What did I miss?
-
I tend to think back, to see how 
this started. I can only remember 
a hazier  time. Cooper's Dairy, and 
all those cows where now the 
buildings stand and crowd.
There were often cows right
up to the fences, baying and
mooing, as is crying out. We
could put our hands in and
feel their wet noses. That's
all gone too  -  nothing here
left except the same cheap
cyclorama of traffic and men
in their tidy work clothes; lights
and buildings, trains and shows.
'The saris go by me from the
embassies....' I remember that
poem by Randall Jarrell, and I
smile back at the living nod
from 1969.
-
If you're here now, newly arrived:
We. Can. Help.


No comments: