Thursday, September 19, 2019

12,119. RUDIMENTS, pt. 813

RUDIMENTS, pt. 813
(picnic lunches in the farmyard square)
At some point my mind
was shredded, my soul 
was flayed; maybe I got
lost in my own malarkey,
or the malarkey of others.
Being in NYC, in all that
swank darkness and/or the
seedy cubbyholes I hung
out in (how many other
places can you use that 
sequence? Out in..?) I
was able to duck and
cover enough that no
real harm ever came to 
me. I got into all sorts of
devilish places, and with
a myriad of strange scenes,
but always managed a fine
extrication. But, up in the
part of PA I'd gotten into
a year or two later  -  all I've
been telling about here  -  
there came a time when it
was all coming loose. I
had nowhere left to turn.
This Wallace McKnight guy,
the local Baptist preacher,
with his little white church 
and churchyard up along
Springfield Road, East
Smithfield Road, whatever
they had marked it as, had
his own  - totally unsatisfactory -
fiefdom. Up there, the whole
church-going thing was ladies'
business. No men ever got
involved, except for funerals
and death vigils and maybe a
picnic or something; unless you
were from, say, the Mattocks
family or such  -  local big-time
landowners, major farmers,
school-board types, etc. There
were only a few of them around,
the local bigwigs, political heads,
etc. They always showed up
for church stuff. Anyway, this
Rev. McKnight was a real pest
to the men. The ladies loved him,
because he was like them, and
childlike  -  gentle, calming,
caring, filled with foolish
stories about children and
Jesus, mercy and transgression,
reversals of fate, recurrences
of belief, all that stuff. The
'miraculous,' around him, 
always had a shoulder to 
cry on. He was about 70, a
little guy, about 5' 2" maybe, 
and drove a white Chevy,
a '56 as I recall, in white.
Which was a color I'd never
seen a '56 Chevy in, and it
was a terrible look. A 15-year
out-of-date car, then, which
isn't so bad  -  my own are
older. The guy was full of it,
and I really don't know how he
lasted. Farmers were mostly 
always daytime busy, out in
the farmyard doing something
or other, trenching, digging,
cleaning, building, working
on motors. The farmyard is
sort of like a communal area;
all sorts of activities center
there, even in the Wintry
cold, and anyone present
gets caught up into whatever
extraneous activity is taking
place there; like here, with the
Reverend's visit. It's a swell life 
like that. Plus all the animals.
So, we'd be around doing stuff
and every so often that Chevy
would come rolling in  -  it was
another of his blasted visitations.
To get the menfolk, where they
were. He'd get out, small talk to
ensue, dumb comments, this 
and that, a small break for
a circle-prayer, and a tie-in
somehow of 'religion' (what he
called it) into whatever we
were doing. Sure enough, he
usually got invited in for dinner,
or a meal or sandwich, and
a drink of whatever, soda, 
milk...And all the time he
talked, as I said, in ways
trying to tie all this into his
patterned religion. One time,
I swear, he started telling me
how the miracle of the loaves
and fishes had occurred because
Jesus, in his most divine and
good-natured way, had managed
by his words, to shame the
people present into breaking
out their picnic lunches they'd
brought in secretly, and share
them with others. No fooling.
The guy was piebald nuts.
-
I wanted to just shut-up, stay
quiet, out of the line of fire,
but he kept pestering me. So
I said, 'Look Reverend, that's
all good and nice, and I've had
my share of religious training, (he
didn't know about the seminary
era) but we can argue this stuff
all day long. Let me put it this way.
If I told you to go down to Troy,
at the diner, and bring me back a
lamb and buffalo meat sandwich,
you'd say 'They don't have them,
such a thing doesn't exist.' And
you'd be right, and we could both
go down there and then prove to
ourselves that such a thing doesn't 
exist. Yet, now, the way I see it,
except for the profound faith of
the constant believer, the existence
or the non-existence of God
cannot be proven or found, one
way or the other  -  except for
that 'faith' I mentioned. Neither
can the workings of, or the
presence of, this God in our
time; and we have nowhere to
go to check that out, except for
the faith you profess in your own
version of that unique intangible,
which I don't share. And I think
I have my own, which you wouldn't
share, and which, I'd bet, is probably
stronger, and sterner, too. Okay?' He
was  pretty much, by that, stopped
dead then in his prancing little
magic swirl, and just went on to
talk of other things, with others.
Now, I could just as easily have
said 'It doesn't exist, for them,' OR, 
had he been a sharper dialectition,
he could have said, 'Both of those
items exist, the lamb and the buffalo.
because of God, in isolation, but it is 
Humanity, in its fallen state, that is 
responsible for the combining,' which,
in its way, would have done nothing
but brought us back to that picnic
lunch again.  Of course, his closing
prayer as he was leaving seemed
to hold an extra glimmer of
supplication, with a twinkle in
his elfin eyes, for me.
-
So, perhaps you could see how I
was stretched pretty thin by this
time. Those last two or three 
Winters there, as much as I
enjoyed the isolation and work,
had just about run me out, though,
to be honest, I could have stayed.
It was special enough. But, wife
and kid, as I've mentioned, take
responsibilities and precedence
too, and an honorable person
can only answer to the situations
they've made. Or flee, and I 
wasn't about to do that to them.
Which is where Elmira came
in handy, and where we then
ended up. My wife simply did
NOT want the son to enter
school in that system  -  Troy
area schools. I disagreed a
little, not having much of 
an opinion about any form
of Government schooling 
being good anywhere. Rotten
meat is rotten meat, and
wherever you go. 




No comments: