Friday, September 13, 2019

12,100. RUDIMENTS, pt. 807

RUDIMENTS, pt. 807
(deaf though a thousand trumpets bray)
Those early years of air raid
drills remained in my head.
Second grade. It was bizarre.
In School 5 the classroom was
in the front, facing Avenel Street,
through which large window area
I gazed endlessly. I was taken
away in fancy each day. Directly
across from where were the early
day equivalents of Avenel
landmarks, in a young kid's
mind anyway. Of course, off
to the left, Murray and Martha's
Candy Store, with the old ice-cream
sign above the doorway  -  Sealtest
or Dolly Madison; one of those;
next to that, where there's now
some sort of tax office, was a
meat market, Joe's, I think it was,
which business later grew itself
and moved to the other corner as
the new 'Shop Rite' - which in
about 1957/58 was just about the
hottest new concept around. The
American 'Supermarket' concept.
Goods you handled yourself,
shopping in well-lit aisles, with
carts, though an array of products
and displays which any denizen
of east Europe, had they seen
it, would have cried over. Later,
it was Cascade Cleaners. Then
right next to it, about 1960, there
was a bakery/donut shop  -  no
baking done there, it was just
all delivered in daily from other
local bakery supplies and sold
fresh. Two ladies ran it, and it
lasted maybe a year or two, As a
kid, 10, with my friends, awaiting
buses there for our Saturday
bowling league ride, we'd go in
there and get our 16-cent jelly
donuts. Next to all that, seemingly
forever, was the dry goods and
'notions' shop of Mrs. Kuzmiak.
Her husband was dead, and I think
they each were old-time Avenel
people. They lived at the side
of the store, in the same building.
-
All this is sort of still there, won't
be for long, and it's rundown
and ramshackle besides; yet, in
its own  and very truthful way
it stands as sentinel witness to
the truth of what once was. There
was never any real 'noise' here,
nothing of consequence. It was
just a place, a perhaps-location,
more in the imagination than
anywhere else. No matter now,
it's been pillaged and plundered
and allowed to go to seed so that
'better' replacements could be
processed in by the same doormat
brains who give 'History' afternoons
of your old towns. Decrying the
loss of what they've just cut off.
Foghead and Broad Basin  -  those
are about the only two towns they
deserve. Swampland animals most
often die off; but these you can't
even hunt.
-
Mostly, I just kept quiet; kept quiet
about all things. No one cared about
hearing from me anyway and all I
saw was too inconsequential to give a
damn about anyhow. It was about this
time, maybe 9 or 10 years old, that
my father suddenly began searching
out the occasional old Navy buddy.
First it was some guy in Garwood
or somewhere; nice new home,
pleasant people. Then there was
some fellow in Pittsburgh  -  name
completely forgotten but his name
back them was often on my father's
lips. We never went there, but he
came to Avenel one time, with
his own little family. Mostly, all
grotesques. I always hated all
that, the introductions, the way of
being shown as Dad's best apple,
the grand 'Son' everyone should
have. And my sister too. The same
went for her. One time, shocker 
of shockers, we went to visit 
somebody  -  I totally forget who,
but it was my sister and me  -  and
this guy had like a maybe 14
year old daughter. Just the one kid.
My sister and I, still quiet younger,
sat there and the girl got up, to
do something, and she swung
her leg up, sort of over us and
within our sight-line (she was
wearing a loose dress) and she
had nothing on underneath it 
and all we saw as the big clump
of dark hair. We both went 
wide-eyed, looking at each other
like, 'What was that?' It was one
of the strangest scenes I've ever
gone through; funny as all get
out now, and each time that 
memory crops back up I can 
only chuckle. And I do. The
memory came up today as
some guy that I met was saying
how much he liked my long
scraggly beard...and how he'd
have one too but he can't grow
any decent facial hair. And then,
with regret, he added, to underscore
what he meant (I guess), 'Hell,
I can't grow hair on my balls!'
-
So, I think if life is anything, it's
a long string of memory bells
hanging out in the air somewhere;
bells which are apt to ring, and
ring loudly, when any sort of 
breeze or wind or flurry goes
by to rustle the air. So few,
oftentimes, even know what 
to expect : and I'd bet there
are times when even the God,
who is supposed to know all 
things, doesn't quite know 
what's coming through.
That's Art. Or that's where
Art come it  -  allowing the
truer creation of other realms 
and other places. Someone
asked me once what it is, and
what it meant, these images I
sometimes paint and draw.
My response was : 'Those are
places I want to be at, go to,
visit, see.I know I can't get
there, so I just draw them,
and that's enough to
make me happy.'





No comments: