Saturday, September 21, 2019

12,124. RUDIMENTS, pt. 815

RUDIMENTS, pt. 815
(all in the service of death)
There was an entire gamut of
things I experienced, yes, but
much of it I kept to myself : 
Infatuation, love, fear, anxiety.
pride, revenge, loathing, excess
and doing without. Nobody really
knew me, and I made sure of that.
My experiences had taught me,
somehow, that each time I stood
up, something was sure to knock
me back down. And I was tired 
of it. There's a patterning that
goes on in a beaten down form
of consciousness that results
usually in one of two things  -  a
complete range of angers and
furies, which are never a good
thing (and which I didn't have), or a
sort of non-productive, or not good
for much anyway, cooperative
nature that willingly accedes to 
what it's told. I had gone more
into that vein of things, which
I eventually came to detest.
Therein was my quandary.
More on that in a bit.
-
I never really lost a night's
sleep over things, but it never
felt right. I compensated for
it in a rather insane manner of
production   -  the self-production
of my own 'things.' Words, art,
poems, drawing, stories, and
other items, mostly unique to
me in that they met no one else's
criteria, were unrecognizable by
the usual standards of title, degree,
schooling and obeisance to the
supposed norms. As an example,
it was 1967, a war was raging,
the sort of war that's hard to
imagine today because it was
imposed upon us, as young
males  -  who died by big
numbers in what eventually
degenerated into a decayed,
anarchic, sick military force
of basic, crazed and drugged,
maniacs. Of course, no one on
that other side of the divide
felt that way  -  that's why they
were there. It was a no-win
situation otherwise; I myself
was what I felt a casualty, in
the cheapest way  -  I'd not
bled a drop, gotten shot, nor
had I pulverized anyone or
had my psychs scarred. I had,
however been ruined, just as
much -   I'd been hounded,
chased down by authorities,
forcibly made to report to the
supposed authorities lording 
over me, made to answer for
refusing to register, and nearly
drafted in place, twice. At the
induction center downtown,
and again in Newark, to which 
they dragged me. This was 1968
wartime, to me. Little did they
know what was going on at
11th Street, and I said nothing.
We were harboring fugitives,
arranging travel and run-offs
to Canada weekly, holding
some 16 people a week on
their flight from enforced
servitude. That's only the
start of what I won't go on
about. It sure enough kept
me propelled, busied, and
creative. 
-
Looking back now, I see the
mountains and I see the valleys.
Everything I had done was a
symbol that actualized an act.
I was a conscious propellant
for my own flame. Mountains.
Valleys. Highs. Lows. I only
later came to see, in a form of
self-analysis, that all parts of what
I later achieved in Pennsylvania
was, as well, a symbol. I had
made geographic reality out of
those symbolized forces I'd only
been living in through a NYC
version. Like riding a motorcycle
fast through fire. Once I got
to hide away in Pennsylvania,
I realized that I'd taken the
symbolic episodes and made 
them real  -  yes, the hills and the
valleys, the heights, and the lows.
That was a very powerful, and an
exhausting achievement, worth
five years of rest-up, for sure. 
But. The trouble with that is,
the world doesn't view you
positively at all; you're trouble,
a rebel, an avenger, some jerk
on an 'anti' mission. Boy, did
I learn that.
-
So what's it get you? Nothing.
So many things I can remember.
Everyone had their own way out.
I remember a Bob Dylan quote, 
when all those folk singer guys
at the Kettle o' Fish and the 
Gaslight were operating. They
had no deferments, no college,
nothing to keep them away from
the 1964 era's draft. Dylan's
advice to those guys  -  Eric
Andersen, Phil Ochs, Jim 
Kweskin, any of those guys, 
(I'm just throwing names out);
here's Andersen : "Well, this
is funny. We basically had no
protection because we weren't 
in school, and we had no
psychiatrist to say we were
'unfit for military service.' 
When time comes for the 
exam, you're on your own. 
You had to go in and do the 
greatest performance of your 
life to get out. Or get cuffed
and sent over. Well, Bob's
advice? 'Take mescaline, man
take mescaline.'" Somehow,
a government can make 
criminals and addicts of
everyone. For myself, I began
feeling like some surrealist or
symbolist painter, putting together
the very weirdest tableau of
things with which to represent
this world. It's amazing how
this all stays with you. I can
remember that hideous trek
on my bicycle, along dense
and sooty Broadway traffic
one afternoon for a follow-up
hearing  -  I got to that place
and my insides were churning
with fury, like some demented
Thom Paine holding a fire-stick.
I left my bike in the lobby and
went upstairs. My America,
right then, represented itself,
its killing self, to me as dirty
green walls, disgusting corridors,
fat-necked men behind desks,
hideous females carrying papers
and files  -  all in the service of
death foul death and there just
ain't no other.
-
This was my first real run-in
with 'authority,' as it was
called. They pull you in and drag
you around. I saw boys crying,
knowing they were on their way
out having just lost their plea
or appeal for deferment. The
men running these sessions were
pig-fascist-beasts. There was
no conscience here; there wasn't
even a knowledge of History,
and if I'd probably sneered and
said 'Dien Bien Phu' they wouldn't 
have a clue. Let me tell you,
these men were worth nothing.
And there was nothing in there
worth saving. I managed to, that day
at least, brush them off like the
bad dust and dirt they were. What
we had on them, was that we
KNEW. We were versed in
the crap we were fighting,
whereas their ideology had
not a clue.


No comments: