Wednesday, September 11, 2019

12,094. RUDIMENTS. pt. 805

RUDIMENTS, pt. 805
(mary lee we roll along)
I often tried to figure how
I could even live with myself,
let alone how others had to
live with me. I had come
from nowhere, and was
fairly much headed to
nowhere as well. I kept
flip-flopping. I was ready
to bail lots of time, but I
was always too chicken.
There were a couple of guys,
as I've mentioned living in
shacks up along that old road
to Mt. Pisgah, a place which
kind of brooded over everything
down below it. Where I was,
I always figured they had the
right idea. It was distant; high
weeds and heavy woods kept
it from the rest of the world,
and those early-cool gigantic
white clouds of fluff and fog
would sometimes just hover
over it, concealing its very
presence. I was always reminded
of a spaceship of God's own
craft, hovering behind it all
in a smoke and mirrors trickery
like Ezekiel, Moses, Enoch
or Joshua themselves my
have seen  -  except that my
face was never burned.
-
I was back up there about two
years ago, and it's all different,
and everyone's now gone. The
National Parks Service  -  assholes
all  -  have a larger than life-size
statue now of some Indian with
a story line about his peering
out from here, Chief Pisgah or
some Indian-named bullshit,
and weeping at what he saw.
No doubt that as far as messages
go, and by the occupying powers
too no less, that's about the
God-awfullest and most stupid
point-of-view I'd ever imagine.
I guess it takes no brains to
wear a uniform and have a
couple of pins stuck onto
it, and a shoulder patch or
two and live off taxpayer
dollars. I'm pretty sure that
back in '71, when I was just
getting my footing around there,
any 'Chief Pisgah' guy up at
the top of that poor location
would have had, instead of
tears, a few Government scalps.
The funny thing, too, was that
when you turned off Route 6
there, making the two rights to
up Pisgah, it was never anyone
but a few, sparse, touristy types
who ever did it. There was
just one paltry sign, which was
really just a location name and
an arrow. No one in their right
mind would have had intentions
of going there, and as far as
I saw, no locals ever ventured.
Don't know why, except for the
same death spirits and spooks
that still haunt those harrowing
places. Everywhere else now,
there are flagpoles, obelisks,
and markers, extolling the vast
talent and effervescent American
energy of Injun-slaughterers like
Sullivan and his killer-campaign,
which was successful enough,
yes, to bring people like you all
the room and the wherewithal to
have Dairy Queens, Walmarts,
Nichols, and SuperDuper Grocery
stores everywhere. Everyone
nowadays worries  -  all those
little creeps and robbers  -
about the things you can't say,
what you can't call people, or
even talk about, yet they go
on extolling Nature while they
destroy it, and extolling, in
the same breath, the destruction
and decimation  of millions
of Native Americans, amidst
their tribes, so they can foist
their deceitful nation-state
down your throat.
-
Some people there were, I could
sense, even if they did 'good'
things for me, they were just
not in sync with me at all. like
Harry Glass. He was the guy
I interviewed with to get the
school district job. You'd think
that was a big deal, but it wasn't.
No one knew me. They hired me,
point-bank blind about me. I
could have been a murderer, or
at least a thief. No one asked
any real 'core' questions of me.
Granted, this was for a nothing
job, essentially keeping care for
the local schoolhouse, keeping
it heated (coal-fired) through the
Winter months, and basically
tending for needs. I contracted
for all that for $4200 (hundred)
bucks, yearly, (probably about
35,000, these days). Plus I got
20 bucks a day to drive the ratty
school bus around to all sorts
of hilly, outlandish places. Harry
Glass hadn't a clue, although he
was a nice guy. From Plainfield,
NJ, where he'd grown up, etc.,
The two men responsible, each,
for setting me up with jobs, oddly
enough, way odd actually, were
from Plainfield NJ. Floyd White
was other, at Whitehall Printing
in Elmira. His wife's name was
Margaret Hall, thus the Whitehall.
I worked there for two different
stretches, separated by the year
or so it took for all the rebuild
and stuff after the big flood of
June '72. They both were
transplants from NJ too. Harry
Glass was the most surprised;
I used to imagine, a la J. D.
Salinger, how Harry got by
in life as a 'Glass.' But he never
made mention. (Salinger's books
often had to do with the 'Glass'
family, and their lives and
adventures). Like the timeline
to all this, it's hard to explain.
But Harry Glass never once
mentioned Salinger. Too bad.
I never liked him much, and
after I was hired I never really
did see him again. But, I did
get paid, did the minimum of
work, and they kept sending
me welfare-assist guys to help
me out, which kind of meant
I gave them most of the work.
The one guy, older, was from way
down in Conshohocken, PA - he
always called it 'Connieshohocken,' 
which I hated. And he often said, 
about things, 'Mary Lee we roll 
along.' I hated that too. Bugged me.
They watched a lot of TV, in the
cafeteria, between tasks  -  real
junky stuff, like Beverly Hillbillies,
and Mr. Ed. Other stuff too, but
I never much watched. I hated
all that; heck, I admit, I hated
everything. I found people to
be stupid, dumb, dense, and
annoying too. I had no clue
how the heck I'd ever ended up
there, doing that stuff. Everything
right then was going foul on
me. There was a piano in the
auditorium, which helped me
greatly. I usually just holed up,
reading  -  Future Shock, and,
later, The Greening of America,
they were big titles then. Bury
My Heart at Wiunded Knee,
84, Charing Cross Road  -  a
bunch more too. There was
yet all of this hippie-era and
soft philosophy/social pact
stuff coming out  -  Marcuse,
Chomsky, B. F. Skinner, etc.
-
I read, while the losers kept
sweeping the floors and watching
their God-damned TV drivel.


No comments: