Monday, September 16, 2019

12,109. RUDIMENTS, pt .810

RUDIMENTS, pt. 810
(hand me that skylamp; or is that the moon?)
I sometimes used to feel
only betrayal; that I'd done
it to myself, and only that.
I had no one else to forgive
or blame. A sort of roving,
cylindrical betrayal machine.
Reason for that was just by
evidences : I never really
seemed to effect others. Not
that I could see. Perhaps it
was all mysterious and hidden,
the effects, but that was cheap
And I'd gotten tired of that
angle too. I needed reality,
but in a particular sort of
dose that was only good
for me. Most else, I was
done with. I had a friend
about that time too, out in
California, who said he
was about to give up
everything  -  I knew he
didn't mean it because he
was way too attached, as I
was too, sort of, to the
tangible aspects of life. His
silly point was that he was
never going to read a book
ever again, was going to
unload all he had, and live
in the desert like a hermit,
in his yurt, whatever that
was. (I had to look it up).
All he wanted to do was dig
a hole. He said it was the
only thing no that made any
sense to him. I said, 'Yeah, OK.
Have you ever tried digging a
hole in the sand? It fills right
back up.' I was truly in earnest,
making a philosophical point
about life and time and our
circumstances, but he took
it all the wrong way, as if I
was belittling him, or his
idea. I didn't help the matter
either when I added, 'Digging
a hole? Big deal; that's all we
end up doing in life anyway,
isn't it?' He got all angry,
letter-angry anyway, and we
had this big silly tiff going
for a while. You know what
though? That battle was crap.
He's dead  -  ended up that way
by his own hand. I'm still here,
(at least now, as I sit here typing
this. At this stage there's no way
to guarantee even my own
tomorrow. I wonder if that too
is a betrayal of some sort?)...
-
This was in the Studio School,
even before this country stuff.
My friend Ed Rudolph, the other
guy from San Francisco, was
still with me in New York, as
was Jim Tomberg, from the
Art Institute there. That made
three jugglings with California
people. It was rough, and each 
one of them was far different 
than the other  -  I was learning
on my feet. Actually, as I now
think about this, I also recall
a guy and girl hippie couple
showing up from California too. 
They were entirely different,
I guess because of what they
were  -  not artists or not even
thinkers. Just fey hippies, in
all those whoopy aspects. He
was as wispy as a feather; she
was enticing, but what do you
do with 98 pounds of blond?
I never got sense from them.
Have you ever carried on  a 
letter feud with someone 
across the country? Let alone
about whether to read books
or dig a hole? It's so stupid
sometimes what 'philosophy'
and those outlooks drive
people too. 
-
You may remember the
episode I wrote of with the
Ed Rudolph fellow in it. 
The one with my 55mph 
speed-limit law theory 
about Manifest Destiny. 
He had taken my idea on 
this one and presented
it before some California
bunch of college people 
and it had become a big 
talk-circuit hit among that
crowd. Same guy. The
theory went something like
'Americans suddenly faced
with land-limits and the
complete absorption of the
coast-to-coast, and more,
growth and end of new
possibilities, have reached
now reached what even
President Carter has called
'malaise.' The nation is ailing.
To solve the problem, the
rulers mandate a lessening
of the speed limit to 55, so
that it takes longer for people
to get anywhere when traveling
longer distances, thus negating
their nauseous feel of living 
in closed and fully utilized
spaces and the limits of 
growth. Simply by 'slowing 
everything down,' at least 
by those evidences, people
begin to feel better.' Yeah,
you had to be there  -  it was
akin to saying that, having
reached the moon, people
now felt closed in, so the
country moved the moon
farther away. I'm a real
genius. Agreed?
-
Up in the country, those few
years later, I used to think 
about all that stuff and what 
had transpired to me. I sure
stuck myself in the eye with
a pencil; as I saw it. Talk of
tangibles, and betrayals too.
I had a mortgage, a house, 
12 acres of crap to worry 
about, literally, new people 
everywhere to kow-tow to, 
or at least pretend so, distant 
parents and such to deal with, 
jobs to keep, work to do, 
cows to tend, and 50 other 
things I never sought. The
one thing that irked  -  using
my father as an example  -  
was how I realized that by
doing any one of these 
mostly compromising things, 
someone like him took it as
the move to show that I was
now ready to accept ALL 
those other detestable things
I'd always hated and raged
against. I realized that the
one step backward had now
marked me as a willing
compromiser ready to be 
saddled with all the rest
of the junk that rode the
same bad wagon train. It
was, as I saw it, a possibly
fatal error. I had to get
defensive, immediately.
-
Getting defensive? First I had
to figure out what that meant:
Head for the exits? Push back?
It was all of everything and 
something, and sometimes the
best defense is an offense  -  even
tough I think that's mostly said the
other way around, but I'm not even
sure of that. How in the world an
offense can be a defense is beyond
my scope. I simply can't think like
that, in those military, Sun-Tzu terms.
The best defense is blowing up the
whole god-damned mess; but
that's pretty offensive? No? I
took it all under momentary
advisement; which of course
even further limited my scope.
A little jerk from Avenel now 
trying to figure out Class-A
countryside warfare.






No comments: