Tuesday, September 10, 2019

12,093. RUDIMENTS, pt. 804

RUDIMENTS, pt. 804
(dealing from a deck of one)
I was always waiting for the
rest, or the the break, that
never came, Some days all
I wanted was a calm spot to
get lost in. Maybe a series
of invisible moments of my
own. It always seemed that
the more active the life was,
the less it afforded rest, yet
when there was nothing
going on and rest arrived
someone would start
whining about being
bored and having
nothing to do. All
nature was was
paradoxical.
-
At least there was no
chance of a group of wiry
Jehovah's coming along
my fine dirt road with
their collections of pablum
and trite. It wasn't until I'd
gotten back into New Jersey
that I began seeing that
practice in earnest. The
house we bought was
about three blocks away
from an active Kingdom
Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Now I didn't much care
about any of that either
way, but it soon became
annoying how, Saturday
after Saturday, we'd get
another group of dunderheads
traipsing down the street,
knocking, mostly, door to
door, in order to repeat the
same non-offensive, almost
'happy about the Lord' spiel.
They were possessed, I'd
guess, of the thickest skulls
God ever made, since every
week they got the same
refusal and demurral. It
never mattered. I suppose
I'm not even supposed to
say this, but they constantly
looked like a group of
sweltering, overweight,
ostentatiously, cheaply-dressed
black fluffs, walking the streets
in local training groups, honing
their Jesus spiel. Why they
insisted on looking like dour
businessmen dressed in
bad taste, or Sunday
go-to-meeting Mamas,
always escaped me. What
were they mimicking, and
why? A dress-for-success
version of Heaven, while
handing out a 4th-grade
level propaganda booklet?
Did that have a meaning
of its own? A pretend  at
success while peddling only
a cheap version of a God's
kiddie religion. I always
figured if anyone had a
surefire way into Heaven,
as  they proclaimed to have,
they should by God take it
and get the  heck out of
my hair. Or, as I most
often put it, 'Jumpin'
Jehovafats, begone
with ya!' At least if
they would have looked
more normal to me, or came
by in jeans and flannels, or
wearing overalls, with dirty
hands, I would have given
them a chance.
-
I felt like every boy had a
chance for something, (I say
boy because that's the only
experience I had). My friend
had an apartment in New
Brunswick, right by the
railroad tracks, about a
block from the train station.
There was a milkman's dairy
station across the way, five
or six daily milk-trucks. The
trucks would be getting loaded
up through the night,for their
5:30am delivery routes. It was,
therefore very most often lit up.
Down the street was some
old-style church. Always
picturesque. I made stories up
about it being in the French
countryside. I don't know why,
but back then whenever this
was  -  a small period of time
tucked between others  -  I
was just learning things I
wanted to hone in on, and we'd
walk the area, talking away,
or we'd sit on the rooftop (one
doorway over from his top
floor apartment), watching
the trains come and go. I
felt that New Brunswick was
somehow a large city and I was
in the midst of it. I don't know
how that image took hold; I
see it now, it's a small, closed-in
dump of a place, riddled with
Government and County office
crap, courthouses, etc. Filled
with crummy people in a small
and undignified way. So 'Jersey.'
-
At this point, whatever August
or September it was, my friend
had just finished a season as
camp counselor, teaching English,
in fact, in the camp setting, and
was returned home, to try and
get back into the swing of a
more, and regular, married life,
with a small baby girl too. His
wife, and the young daughter,
had been fending for themselves
in the apartment while he was
away. This whole homecoming
thing was pretty awkward to
be near. They weren't getting
on too well, the close-fit was
gone, or needed some re-adhesion.
One of the problems was  -  for
me  -  much of what he talked
about was about some other
camp-counselor there. He'd
evidently been banging her
the entire Summer, and truly
enjoying it. Now the season
of cold turkey, withdrawal, was
upon him. It wasn't good. So,
needless to say, I faded away,
we saw less and less of each
other, and that was that. It had
become too much of a hot
situation for us to be sitting
around while their relationship
fumed and boiled around us.
It all fell apart soon after. I
was kind of glad I was out of
that scene, because for sure
it wasn't going to be doing me
any good. Other friends were
involved, trading physical
alliances there too, let's say.
I knew, even back then, that I
wasn't real good with people. 
-
New Brunswick just never fell
into place for me; a real nowhere. It
was a pretty theme-less place, and I 
could never get anything from it  -  
neither a feel for good, nor bad. We
broke in, one night, that same
friend and myself, into the Douglas
College music studio room. It was 
all set-up, microphone, amps,
speakers. He had a guitar, I forget
if it was there or he brought it along;
anyway, he knew where the doors
and entryways were, and how to get
in. Which we did, And long and late
into that distant Saturday night of
time, I took the piano and he the
guitar, and we had a rollicking
good old time jamfest for ourselves.
Couldn't do that stuff today if you
tried  -  pass cards and ID's, etc.
Along with my printing job, I
had a die-cutter up along French
Street, 225 French, I recall. Ducane
Die Cutting. The guy's name was
Tom, and I gave him a lot of
finishing work, for some three
years. Big bucks. I used to do
eyeglass cards, for Safilo Co., an
Italian Eyeglass Frame 
manufacturing company. Fancy
stuff : we'd print on heavy card-stock,
eyeglass point-of-purchase display
cards, by the thousands. I mean
expensive printing, quality 
chromecoat stock, 12 pt. grade.
It was like a fake face card, for the
displaying of the frames : the part
of it that was die-cutting was when
the fake nose and some ear things 
for the arms had to be punched out
and propped-up. They did all that in
each of the NYC eyeglass stores. It
was a real pain in the butt; I was
doing like 20,000, or more, at a 
time. Heavy, dusty stuff. Paper-dust
from the cut-outs. And the people
were real demanding. Can you even
imagine getting all snooty over
'eyeglass frame cards,' high-fashion
or not? It ended up, I was taking
piles of these things home at
night, sometimes, to sit there
cleaning and arranging these piles
of flat faces, banded and separated,
in 100's. A real annoyance. But Tom,
the guy there, was real nice; we got
on good and I often hung there,
waiting for his production, to load
up my vehicle.
-
There was a Portuguese Restaurant
next to him  -  cocktails and dining,
and bands too, and across from that,
at the curve in the road (French St.,
was actually Rt. 27 too, straight out
to Princeton) a gigantic cemetery.
Cool stuff. Up the other direction,
big draws at the time, was Olde
Yorke Books  -  neat place, crusty
and antiquated  -  and the Melody
Bar, named by her father for
Melody Kokola, a women I knew
from Metuchen. Everything's
gone now; there's nothing left,
unless you like tacos, enchiladas,
corns, and beans. Which I
do, actually; so no need to get
all crappy with me for separating
that out. Mexicans run that
whole end of town there now.
I'm not sure what they do for
religion, but they're not
Jehovah's Witnesses.


No comments: