Saturday, September 14, 2019

12,104. RUDIMENTS, pt. 808

RUDIMENTS, pt. 808
(winning friends, influencing people...)
I found most of life to be
a folly. External life anyway;
the internal part of it, which
is most important, is also the
most ignored. There were
plenty of places with water,
but it wasn't always running,
and it wasn't always pure.
The average person would
just say, 'Water. Good!'.
Only the more discerning
would extend that, inspect the
purity of the water, seek the
steadiness and the regularity
of the flow. Those are things
of importance, unlike most
people.
-
There was a time I got so 
immersed in studies that I 
could do little else; certainly 
not talk normal talk. As much
as a benefit that being far-off
and away by myself was, it
too presented problems of
denseness and deprivation  -  
and then when I did seek
someone out to talk to, other
than my wife I mean, there
was no one. Unless to talk
about chicken feathers and
modeling cows and sheep.
Reaching a point where nothing
makes sense, where a type of
intellectualism just deadens
the rest of the world, is not
a good place to be. I couldn't
look around me without seeing
something that wasn't there.
A guide for the perplexed?
Yes, I needed that, so I read
that too. I used to sit around
thinking  -  at 25, say  -  'In
maybe 30 years I'll do this,
maybe 45 years I'll still be
able to so that, or that, if I
have the money. This timeline
horizons, you see, were long
and broad The one thing I
noticed by aging was how
those horizons shift. They get
shorter : Now when I look
out, I think, maybe, 5 years.
I don't renew subscriptions?
I no longer buy green bananas?
Where should I turn?
-
Out in the country, it used to
be that fixing a car was a cinch.
Battery, carburetor, mixture, 
distributor, points, fuel line, 
filters, distributor cap, points,
spark plugs, timing belts,
radiators, etc. A person was
still able to poke his head under
the hood and reach things. It 
was at the point where most
often guys tinkered with cars
and engines just for the hell 
of it; for fun. Those were 
country cars; only later did 
the newer stuff start trickling
in  -  fuel injection, computerized
ignitions, plug-ins for the now
common troubleshooting and
'computer brains' that override
everything else. Opening an
engine compartment now, you're
met by layers of hoses, relays,
plastic boxes, etc., so much so
that for the most part a person
is locked out of tinkering,and
there's so much extraneous
crap in there now that it's useless
to deal with : connections for
displays, GPS and 'radio' and
communication things, relays,
terminals, beepers, etc. You 
can't really do much of 
anything now and what you
can do is not much fun  -
unless you like plug-ins
and read-outs. And besides,
mostly everything always
works now.
-
One of my favorite pegs was
driving that school bus full of
kids, up through the higher hills
and deep farmlands. I never
knew the ins and outs of the
school territory or school 
regulations around there 
other than to know that there
were numerous other kids who
did NOT get on these buses,
nor, evidently, take a schooling
of any sort. Much of these
'regulations' went unenforced,
and there were numerous
enough other parents who
took no interest in whether or
not they were violating some
edict or something. 'Just you
try,' they seemed to be saying.
Under the category of 'needed
farm hand,' it seemed, even
a bad instance of child labor
could get ignored. I think
the Harry Glass school-board
types had not the gumption to
enforce rules in these matter.
It was a break in their routine,
and besides that they were
chicken-shit about things.
These days I guess what's
called 'home-schooling' can
get you at least a fair hearing 
on these issues, but most of
these parents of whom I talk 
now had supplemental reading 
skills extending just out past
maybe 4th - 6th grade; let 
alone what I'll call 'Logicking.'
In much the same way as the
modern world with its rules
and new regulations had
driven old John right out to
the barn and the noose, so too
the modern infestation was
turning into hostility for these
high-hill folk. There wasn't
much good due. I've already
written about the Jennings guy,
with whom I used to trade cars
and guns  -  real stern mountain
folk, he and his wife were  -  and
until some weird sort of actual
friendship grew between us, his
kids attended school for maybe
3 or 4 days each month. I knew
this. I'd been told to stay off his 
land with the school bus, stop 
at the bottom corner of his 
hill and road and if his kids 
weren't present, just turn off 
and keep going. The turn 
right there was fairly both
annoying and treacherous too,
but the one at the top of his
hill, by the house, was far
worse. I'd been told NOT 
to venture there at the risk
of getting the bus shot at. The
fact of the matter instead was
that the guy became an instant
hero and a curiosity to me. I
just had to see and meet this
fellow. So one day I just
slowly wound my way up his
jaggedy roadway, taking my
chances, with maybe 8 other
kids on the bus. The key was,
my ace-in-the-hole as it were,
HIS kids had taken a liking to
me; which I figured was half
the battle. I clowned and goofed 
with them on the days they
were there; making this little
schoolbus jaunt with them
something they actually 
enjoyed, not otherwise much 
getting out and apparently
never having seen a 'goofball'
side of their crazed Dad. The
first time I got up to that house,
ramshackle though interesting 
all get out, no kids came out.
I sat there a while and sure
enough here come the Jennings
guy, and with a cute little wife
too; as raggedy and rough as
the road was. 'What do you think
comin' up here with that bus? 
Now how you gonna' git outta here
in this narrow turnout without
hitting down that oak?' Good 
question, but I knew how to drive
and this was just bravado anyway.
I could sense there was almost
a comedy undertone to his
reaction, and plus, Mama there
was smiling. Maybe I'd called
him out, maybe not, but there
wasn't any real anger, certainly
no gun. And 2 kids came out
and said, 'Mama, that's Mr. Gary,
and he's the driver.' They then
scooted right into the open bus
door. I figured 2 out of 3 wasn't
so bad, and I said, 'Thanks! And
hey, I'll bring 'em back later and
we'll talk.' He waved me off as
I turned out, negotiating the tree
and that tight circle of what he
deemed a driveway or such.
Later on, I made his house
the last stop, and the kids darted
off, and, yep, that was the actual
beginning of my 'old man Jennings'
friendship. It just got better and
easier from that point. The kids
came and went, their choice, but
the going or not going onto the
schoolbus never became an
issue again. As I've written
previously, in a way-earlier
chapter, the four of us became
friends, wives and us, we had
them over for 'dinner' once, 
in fact, and it was a jolly, 
good and fully interesting 
evening. He wasn't near as 
bad as the locals made him
out to be, but he was poor 
and angry too. I could
sympathize, and it never
made no matter to me. 'd
gotten to see a whole other
side of that 'humanity' I'd always
been reading about : Real people,
with concerns, not deceit; with
a direct and valuable approach
to the world around them, not
the meek zombies all those other
invested folk would want you
to be  -  for their own gain.





No comments: