Thursday, September 26, 2019

12,140. RUDIMENTS, pt. 820

RUDIMENTS, pt. 820
(is this how it went?)
Whenever I reached a place
where I felt all things were
fraying, I stopped; sensing
I was far enough along and
running towards destruction.
That's a big key, knowing
when and how to recognize
that. 'You can't undo the
moment,' was one of those
catchwords that got stuck
to my mind early on and
never left. In a very basic
sense, it's quite true  -  yet,
in other senses, things actually
can be atoned for, repented
of, etc., so that the 'moment'
actually does get undone.
But that's different too.
-
Just before an aircraft breaks
the speed of sound  -  the
'sound barrier'  -  sound waves
become visible on the wing
of the plane. Now, I don't
know if that's high physics,
basic science, or some mix
of both by conjecture, but 
what I can attest to is that, as
a young kid, at school, in 2nd
grade and beyond, I can recall
that massive momentary stun
when, all of a sudden, along
some mid-day, we'd hear this
massive smack-bang noise
in the sky. Believe me, you
had to be there  -  we'd be
told not to worry, it was yet
another test pilot (1957?), high
overhead in his F-85 fighter
jet or whatever it was, breaking
the sound barrier. It would
make a huge 'bang' in the sky,
almost physical too; something
you could feel and want to
touch. It was that vivid. (As
an adolescent, other things
later caused that same
sensation; but, I digress).
This thing about the sound
waves becoming visible on
the wings of the plane was
just another of those mysteries
of this life I never understood.
"The sudden appearance of
sound just as sound ends is an
apt instance of that great pattern
of being that reveals new and
opposite forms just as the
earlier forms reach their
peak performance." Whew!
Mechanization was never
so vividly fragmented. You
may claim to understand
that. I never did.
-
In any case, that's exactly
what I always felt like, under
the rising shaft of some great
new surge of idea or creativity.
Yes, in those terms I could
clearly understand that same
transformation. Within my
own life, as I understood new
things I ended up understanding
nothing. I felt energies rising,
and suddenly taking shape into
the forms and objects of my
strange imagining. I wrote
somewhere here, just a few
chapters back, of my response
when asked why I paint or
write as I do. My answer
was that, you may recall,
these are all places I want
to be, to visit, to live. My
energies, like those waves
of sounding rippling over jet
wings, take form and shape.
They make things; not just
sound.
-
Two quite sensible ideas rise
up from all of this: First, as
to the old 'is the glass half
full or half empty?' routine,
I eventually realized  -  and
you yourself can scheme
this out  -  that in either case
the glass is twice as large as
it needs to be; and, secondly,
to the 'what came first, the
chicken or the egg?' thing,
it seems instead that the
chicken is the egg's idea
for getting more eggs. Both
of these sound-barrier logics
break the envelope of.......
something. You fill in the
blank, OK.
-
At the Studio School, humming
around at most everything as I
was, I began to think about
what all this art and abstract 
art was. As with those naked
life-models I mentioned in
the last chapter, it never made
any sense to me to have someone
in perfect fidelity, with paint,
brush, pencil, charcoal or
whatever, recreate in art
exactly what they'd seen.
Why? Whatever for? We are
assaulted by the solidity and
the flowing change of the
physical world at each 
moment. I never thought it
 needed another recreating.
Just to prove you have a good 
eye and a steady hand? Bravo
then. But, in the same vein,
try thee a camera. Or watch
ye TV. It all bored the hell
out of me  -  any of that
perfect recreation. I needed
the rip and tear of Cezanne.
Even Van Gogh wasn't good
enough for me. And then
heck, for a while I just stepped
off the cliff and went 'abstract,' 
finding that's where it was 
all at for me, and bringing a
more-perfect satisfaction
about creating. I was sick of
the rest of all that normal crap.
People 'maturing,' and becoming
mutes, having not a say on any
matter, ending up in a home
with a pool and a scheduled
vacation, forever. Think of
Nietzsche and all that Theory
of Eternal Recurrence stuff,
and back off. Boy did I hate
to see guys grow old, with suits
and ties, losing hair, withering,
but compensating for all that
with material goods and calling
it 'Life.' It was no different
than that realistic art stuff,
to me. I called it 'Tree On a
Bridge' painting. A whole
new school of art.
-
The content of writing is
'speech.' What is the content
of speech? An actual process
of thought, which is non-verbal.
(That's from McLuhan). An
abstract way of painting, in
turn, represents the direct 
manifestation of creative
thought processes. Raw and
unfiltered, and without, yet,
a home. As if a scanner or a
computer, say, was reading
the thoughts and forming,
something. An image? A new
field? Is not THAT what Artificial
Intelligence actually is? Another 
world and place? The designs have
psychic and social consequences
which get amplified once they
are thrown into the existing
processes of the everyday 
world. We need do no more
other than produce it, and allow
it space, and walk away. 
Looking back, we may allow
ourselves then to say, 'Is this
how it went?'




No comments: