Thursday, September 12, 2019

12,097. RUDIMENTS, pt. 806

RUDIMENTS, pt. 806
(hallelujah and amen!)
What used to really burn me
up, back in those years, was
all that 'beloved community'
crap  -  I think the Clintons
had re-introduced it years
later as in 'It takes a village.'
For the most part it was, in
both instances, merely a pile
of drivel and pure claptrap.
All through those Ithaca hills,
there was so much leftover
junk  -  scads of crumbling,
almost useless, people, desperately
trying to make their little units
work, whether commune, farm
or house trailer. Nearly every
part of it became a disaster,
and I guess those children
from then are now 50 year
old adults, or close, if they
made it through. I often
wonder. The last thing I'd
ever have wanted back then
was some hippie-dippie jerk
telling me about things : how
to raise kids, how to cook,
whatever. The entire point
of that 'village' stuff was a
form of tribal control. I'd have
stabbed someone first, and I
think they knew it. Most of
the poor souls we'd meet up
Ithaca way were already lost
remnants, like some crazy lost
tribe of Israelites, scavenging
as they roved the countryside
in search of some, any, form
of validation for both their
worldview and their mindsets.
All I ever saw was abuse, but
a 'soft' abuse, by another name.
Something from LaLa Land, or
a munchkin version of Hell.
This British writer guy, a pastor,
named Charles Spurgeon, once
wrote that 'a village is a hive of
glass.' I sure could see what he
meant, even though most of
these itinerants wouldn't know
a village from a tent. But what
he was saying was equally true:
You walk through all that
communalism and collective
stuff and you begin taking on
the attributes of the idea that
you are not yourself. Can't be.
Everything is seen, and people
are watching. You never mature
into a true selfhood; the twig
grows into a crooked branch.
-
I liked living where I was, for
those reasons  -  at least for the
time it was still fresh and right.
As I've said, after a while the
just-as-many negatives combined
with my own changes of mind
and heart to alter everything.
But that too was good for me,
because it was clear and it was
precise; and I saw it coming.
The entire process was of a
personality change. Backwards,
I guess, into what I'd come out
of. I felt a stifling need to break
forth. After John, that really
old farmer guy I told you about
previously, hung himself, I knew
the gig was up and the 'modern'
world was a'rolling in, even up
there. John Harkness, for me,
represented, as I've said, about
1885. A lot of things up there
did; for some reason that entire
era was the current in the air,
for those who could find it.
It wasn't the 1930's, though
there was a lot of that too  - the
newly-tarred dirt roads, vehicles,
and all that old machinery slowly
turning over to motorized units.
That was one large part of it, but
there was a larger, more stern and
spiritual presence I always fund.
The 1930's, after all, were but 30
years ago, back then. Think back
now, that's like 1990. Too near;
and still familiar and recognizable.
I'd imagine it all had more to do
with all the large homes and
things still about  -  they were
entirely different : large, quiet
spaces. Tall rooms, high ceilings
Kitchens and stuff were all laid
out differently; there was a sort
of different reverence about
everything  -  light, space, the
dark corners, the large pieces
of hewn and finished lumber.
I think John recognized all that
too, and when he began to see it
flowing, being taken away from
him  -  all those old ways and his
manners of doing things, by hand,
in a solitary way, all of that old
farm lore, he knew it was over,
even at age 80+, he cracked. It
got him. He went out to the barn
and hung himself from the rafters;
with poor, old Mary  -  equally
adrift  -  left behind.
-
I never got far past that; once that
occurred I started realizing the 
game was up, for me. That was a
hurting moment and made me just
wonder why I was even there. I
never did even know surely what
idolatry was, but my idol was the
past; I wanted nothing to do with
what present around me there was.
One time one of my friends told
me I was an iconclast. That meant
someone who broke icons. Idols
in a way, I guess. I never broke
any that I knew of, but my heart and
mind were just always someplace
else. In this case, the old days that
I could just about still see but which
were always filtering out  -  John
hanging himself sure was no help on
that count. It was beyond understanding.
The day of that wake or funeral or
whatever it was, the interior of the
sorry, vast, old house was, I swear,
already haunted by a sad goodness;
the likes of which I'd never seen
before. Some nitwit Minister came
around with his prayer and solemn
stuff, but the only answer was rapt
silence. There was no sense to me made,
sorry to say, Mr. Minister, about an
82 year old man hanging himself
over a disappointment about the new
'present'  -  not even the future.
And that's saying something.
Hallelujah and Amen!
-
I think I buried my heart
when we buried him. 


No comments: