Tuesday, September 3, 2019

12,066. RUDIMENTS, pt. 797

RUDIMENTS, pt. 797
(I called them bastards)
It took some getting used to
no lights in the sky. Nothing.
Except stars, and of those
there were plenty. But there
were no lamps, streetpoles,
floodlights or any of that.
The farmyards here and there
had their own lampposts
for the barnyard to be lit up,
but mostly they were on
switches and not just plain
'on' all the time. You don't
know pitch dark until you've
been experienced with it.
When I first got to my
property, there were two
lamp-poles I'd not known
about, regular street lights
that came on at darkness. I
had the fixtures immediately
removed, once I realized they
were coming on nightly and
blinding me. I was calling the 
power company for the new 
account set-up anyway. Those
two lamps came to $103 monthly,
and I knew I didn't need to be
paying that, and I really didn't
want that extra light at $52 each.
I wanted darkness, thanks.
They left the poles in place,
they came and took the lighting
arms away. I used to go out at
night, deep night, like 2am, just
to fixatedly observe the sky. It
was dark, and riddled with
thousands of stars  -  (dare I say 
tens of thousands? Numbers fail
for this grasp)  -  bright, not
so bright, dim, wavering, and
even varied in color some.
What amazed me, I think the
most, were two items that
astounded. First was how
much movement there was
in the deep night sky  -  things
moving around, in their silence.
I'd figured for what the blinks
were; satellites and various of
Mankind's orbital things. Yet,
beyond them there was an
almost constant movement,
somewhere, at any time, of
streaking  -  comets, asteroids
whatever. I wasn't a science
type who would get sky maps
and tracking charts and all
that  -  to me it was all more
thrilling and cosmic, and I
wished for it to stay that way.
My thoughts were usually as
wandering as some of those 
stars anyway. The second
aspect of this which astounded
me  - and this is a little difficult
to get across  -  was the pure
dimensionality of deep space.
As I stared and studied what 
I saw, there was a constant
three-dimensional effect; the
stars are layers of depth, the
aspect of 3-D startles. The
miserable, industrial sky of
Jersey and Avenel with which
I'd grown as a flat, 'dispossibly'
disconcerting, nay boring,
artifice; Sky. Something that
once may have been important.
To someone. To others, in the
past. I'd see all those star
charts and diagrams of the
horoscope sky, and the old,
ancient, supposedly mythical
images of ancient man, who, it
was said, somehow sat around 
and got the outlines of Gods and 
their legends from all that, to 
formulate by : place, and time,
portraits and images from the
sky, of archers and rams and
buckets and fountains. That
crap always baffled me, and 
it seemed like a real load of 
it too. The night sky now,
however, that I was viewing,
there in Pennsylvania's distant
high lands, bore more the
resemblance of gauze. A web,
an entire panoply of stars and
celestial objects NOT in any
flat pattern, but one so awesome
and deep and rich that the varied
depths, the very deepness of
the night and the astronomical
world above, could be seen as
in the equivalent of some real,
heavenly, divine, cosmic
ViewMaster. I'd never before
experienced it  -  it was hot to
the touch, enrapturing, and it
all captivated me totally. I 
never wanted for daylight 
again. I'd found my element,
my own 'dark' matter, which
wasn't dark at all.
-
I knew I'd hit onto something:
The world was never anything
of what people say it was. I
sensed that counting eggs! 
Each egg was another life 
and another world; limited 
in its scale, yes, and only 
little like ours, but farmers 
viewed each as an installment 
of money, a designated, tiny
and incremental part of a 
much-larger packet of the
egg-production, and milk, 
and corn, and everything
else by 'commodity,' they
lived. You'd think, being 
around all that life, they'd 
value something of it. But
that never happened  -  oh
sure, they got cute around the
bunnies and foals and chicks
when the children were near,
doing all that dumb adult
stuff that parents and adults
do around kids; but none of
it was true. Each was a 
commodity, saleable by 
volume, and valued as that 
only. Besides, all over the land
round them, if something
could be shot, hunted or
otherwise killed as wild, it
would be. Nature got little
regard except as business.
Over time that really gnawed 
at me, galled me, and pretty
much turned me against what
I was seeing.
-
It was the same with that
night sky  -  I was lost in
an almost Nirvanic reverie
each time  -  yet these oafs 
all around me saw nothing 
and cared little of it. They'd 
rather have haircuts and 
their damned apple jack. I'd
be lost in Orion's Belt, on
my own in the deep, deep sky,
and all they wanted was another
belt of their booze to try. All
things had gotten twisted up,
and I began seeing how there,
yes, even there, people were
living misrepresented lives,
getting things wrong; ignoring 
the best, a thriving on the wrong.
Taking sustenance, as it were
from bad cattle-feed of the
mind. A lethal mind. My
wife had a Siamese cat; a
real nice one, expensive too.
We brought it with us, having
bought down in Laurence Harbor,
NJ a year or so back, in some
miserable pet store that's now
a store-front post office next
to a naked bar that opens daily
at 4pm and is now BYOB after
years of NO alcohol allowed.
Things change, I guess, and I
end up wondering how I know
this stuff anyway. Farm boys
ran the cat down, it having been
strolling around out the broad
yard; for a bit of the air  -  got off 
near the road, and these yokels
ran it down under the pretense
that they'd 'thought it was a
raccoon.' Well, at least they
told us about it later. Another
time, I had a dog, a crazy-ass
black Lab, about three years old,
full of God's own graces and
pep and energy too. They one
day long-distance shot it. For
what they said was 'chasing
deer. I called them 'bastards'
on that case.




No comments: