Sunday, September 22, 2019

12,129. I GOT SORRY

I GOT SORRY
I got sorry when everything
closed down. I wanted at least
a relic, something to remember
it all by. That big dark cloud 
was something else, and then
it all was swept away. A great
big rush of holy wind? Some
sort of fire from the sky? The
voices stopped and new ones
were heard, or came from
somewhere, and everyone 
just had to stop. If they'd
been talking, it was suddenly
over. I'd never read it would
be like this, but I stayed
pretty fearless and steadfast.
In the face of it all I just kept
waiting for more. The next
shoe to drop. Or something
comforting like that.
-
I found myself suddenly
loving the old ways; all the
old words I'd ever heard. The
storybook phrases of mothers
and teachers; the old timeworn
stories of uncles and dads. 
Unless there was going to be 
more, I was refusing satisfaction.
Things I'd never expected were
now coming to pass. New lights
and new colors in a newly
deep sky. The Instructors had
told me  -  the circumference of
God around Humankind's circle 
is far greater than Man's poor
circle attempting to encompass
God. Some things are better
left alone.

No comments: