Tuesday, September 17, 2019

12,116. RUDIMENTS, pt. 811

RUDIMENTS, pt. 811
(stanley got hung out to dry)
You know how it is, as
you age, people with
whom you grew up, or
family members, etc.,
insist on showing you
old snapshots  -  from
when you were a kid,
or 6 or 8, or 10 or 12,
years old. It's like looking
at a salamander before
it has turned into a frog,
or however that biological
sequence runs. I guess
it's fun and all, but you
just know it's incomplete,
without fully yet being
equipped with the right
appendages. I had a lot of
that  -  not the appendages
thing, I mean the photos. I
came of age, as a kid, in that
odd period of time when
people were all of a sudden
getting personal cameras
  -  Kodak, Instamatic, Brownie
 or this or that, whatever,
there were bunches of the
most simple point and click
units coming out and every
family with intentions had one.
That meant a zillion photos
of the brats: Little League, 
school plays, graduation,
bicycle riding, swimming,
on and on in endless fashion.
Like scuba diving naked, it
was impossibly impossible.
I don't have a phone, but I
guess it's all worse now. I
see the same crap everywhere;
people taking pictures of the
'circumstance' and not the
'thing.' Like a photo-bomb
of self, the sick-selfie just
shows a 'where' not a what.
All those photos, old and 
new, were like the automatic
zombie shots of someone
with no clue as to their real
place or surroundings. The
historical aspect of anything
was passed right over  -  in 
those photos nothing has a
past, not even a being. It's 
just them. Stupidity now
rules the kitchen nook.
-
I got sick of looking; tired
of seeing my self running
off, already at whichever age,
the tracks as they'd been laid
down for the train of me to
follow. Watch the tunnel.
See the bridge. As if every
one of life's options and
probabilities was going to
be likewise visible, and
announce itself beforehand?
Wrong assumption, Mr. and
Mrs. America. Those old
photos sure can mislead and
misdirect. Caveat Emptor, I
suppose, there too.
-
When I was at St. George
Press, I'd often be looking out
and see old friends going by  - 
that was weird, in that the few
that I saw, those 12 or so years
on since our last contact, had
become unreachable. It was
sad, though I tried. My one
school chum, from like 5th
and 6th grade, Peter Marshak,
had turned into one of those
intense, straight-ahead, fierce
walkers always intent on
getting somewhere, but never
getting there. He blazed only
forward, never even seeming
to look sideways. My other 
friend, Ken Lackowicz  -  
with whom, fortunately, I've 
since regained some contact 
and who has become a
wonderful old guy now 
(like me!) was, at that time,
in a post-Vietnam, military
stage of working all that out
of his system. He'd be going  
by on a bicycle, quite often,
and with steely determination.
No contact possible. Others
I'd see in their new roles as
fire officials, town workers,
phone company guys, etc. 
It was all at first disconcerting,
as in 'What the heck am I
doing here?' and later I just
rolled with it, probably 
foolishly. This one lady, long
dead now, Marion Vance (yes,
with the 'o'), she'd come in
twice weekly, or more, for
her account - jobs to pick-up
or start - and she'd literally
say just that. It never made
me feel very good. She'd
get close and say 'What are
you doing here? You're 
wasting away, wasting your
talent. Get out of here.' Then
she'd always start telling me of
this that or opportunity I should
follow up on, NYC stuff most
often. It always sounded worse
to me than the meek drudgery
I was already in. The things
she didn't understand were that
I had no belief in anything
real, considered life a disaster
of conclusions and circumstances
not worth redemption, and had
absolutely no interest or abiding
faith in any of the end-results
that this would, she claimed, 
have brought me to. It was
impossible to explain to 
anyone else the pickle I was 
in; as lost as either of those 
people passing by me.
-
One day this guy walks in :
Stanislaus Polski, from Perth
Amboy. Believe it or not he
had been in the seminary with
me. I always liked him, and gave
him major considerations, though
he was the butt of lots of communal
jokes and heckling. Stanley was
a unique character, sad in his way
too. His parents were Polish,
from Poland  -  the language, the
religion, the old world everything.
First generation Perth Amboy, a
large Polish community, Stanley
was clumsy, a bit of a doofus,
and had strange troubles with
English  -  difficult constructions
to understand; he spoke oddly.
He had the fire inside, for God
and the mission. He stayed at
it, long after I was gone, all
the way to the end of what
would be his near-ordination.
Then they cut him; simply
dropped him, after all those
years, saying his communication
skills were lacking and he'd be
no good. That was the story
he'd stopped in to tell me. I 
don't even know how he 
knew I was there. He was 
devastated; without recourse, 
hurt and adrift. In so many ways,
so was I! I couldn't square with
him my plight against his. He
was raw and hurting.  I gave
him my solace, and poor 
Stanley moved on. I wished 
all my friends the power of
grabbing themselves back up 
re-entering the flow of
energy we live by. When I
saw that, I was glad and I was
thankful. When I saw it not
happening, I too got sad.


No comments: