Friday, September 20, 2019

12,121. RUDIMENTS, pt. 814

RUDIMENTS, pt. 814
(it didn't fit at all)
There were three words
that always bugged me; it
seemed they always posed
a problem for me. Nothing
particularly crucial, and
always correctable, they
were simply things I
always had to carefully
step over : Lascivious;
Halcyon; and Pablum.
I know, I can tell already
of your slack-jawed
reaction to this, but it's
true. This was the sort
of thing I tripped up on;
unlike others, I cared little
for sports standings, football
scores, stock prices, or any
of that. I was, rather, usually
hung up on words. Halcyon
I was always seeing as halycon.
(You can look these up on
your own, if needed). Pablum
was in a constant conflict with
Pabulum. In actuality, 'Pablum'
was the brand-name of a
product-version of pabulum,
which was Latin for food
or something; some sort of
smooth mush. And, lastly
here for these purposes, I
always got lascivious as
lasvicious. Different. It
was as much fun as it was
annoying. I was like a
goldsmith seeking that perfect
whatever it is that goldsmiths
seek to prove purity. I had the
sails, and they were unfurled,
but had not yet caught any
wind. It was getting late,
and I was impatient.
-
My return to solid ground,
I guess, was something I
never accomplished, and only
now, at this late stage, is it
running its toll on me. So many
of the things behind me seem
as missed opportunities, wasted
efforts, miscues, and bad
directions. My halcyon days
never did arrive. I always
tried to steer clear of the
pabulum and mush that
the mundane world threw
at me  -  and I have always
liked remaining lascivious.
-
The day I got to New York
City, I was right off the bat
in search of the down and
dirty, somehow always having
thought it would lead me to
a big prize. Up along 42nd street,
there were guys on the make  -
there was one amusement
arcade over across from the
bus terminal, I guess that's
Eighth Ave (not sure now), and
in that arcade, among Ski-Ball
lanes and chutes and pin ball
machines there were all sorts
of perverted guys liking to
pick up young men. A person
could make 50 or 75 bucks
there easy enough, if one was
dumb enough. Some guys did;
they took the whole thing as
a career opportunity, in that
pathetic, brutally hot 1967
August of time. Like Herbert
Huncke hustling. I had plenty
of weaknesses, but it was
never for guys. So? I stayed
poor. Later on, stuff like
that could become part of
everyone's story, those guys
retelling their old days on the
miserable street. Half of it's
all made up. (Did you get that?
How could half of anything
be all made up? It works, but
it doesn't, but it does. And
what's half of everything
anyway? Very strange). It was
all a peculiar game of marbles,
to me, bumping the solids off
the cat's-eyes. Half the time I was
scared. You can hardly imagine
now how primitive all this was.
The 1950's versions of the
entertainments, of these arcades,
was still quite active, even
through much of the 1970's.
Things were seedy everywhere,
dirt and filth piled up, people
sagged and died, no one cared.
All these game things were all
mechanical  -  meaning they made
clackety and metallic noise, had
lousy sound effects, beepers and
bells, but no finesse or advancement.
It was all tinker-toy stuff. And
no one knew what to do with
themselves. None of this was
like now, where people are always
preoccupied: Phones and info
everywhere, people in constant
touch with entertainments, even
movies and stuff, on their stupid
hand-helds. Everything is soft
and easy  -  knowledge is rubber,
it gets bent and twisted by whatever
the prevailing monster-version
of things is. In that aspect, the
whole world has gone quiet.
There are NO tangible, fixed,
fast, or stuck, meanings now to
anything; let alone worries over
how to spell. I'm crazy now, just
as I ever was then; but I articulate
better. That's a funny word too,
because an articulate vehicle now
is one that bends  -  like those long
NYC buses that are really two
buses in a row, stuck together by
a section of dense rubber which
bends some so the long bus can
make a turn. Go figure. I could
hardly, at first, speak about what
I saw, from a sense of wonder and
foreboding too. All I could
ever, back then, think about,
(still recollecting hotly from those
yet fresh seminary days, was
Mark 10:31, 'Many that are
first will be last.' It seemed,
fitting and right, while at the
same time it didn't fit at all.
-
That also seemed a perfect fit
for the parody of 'living' I saw
here. All things were pretty
innocent too, even in their
bleakness. Imagine, today, an
arcade? A shooting gallery and a
line of Ski-Ball lanes, everything
running at 25 cents. It was like
a set-up for perversion and the
degenerate. Those guys with the
bottle in the brown bag, thy were
bottom feeders, with lousy teeth.
The rich people skimming of the
top had nothing on these guys,
who were mining the filthy mud
and muck for their untold amounts
of gold and silver. A person had
to remain mindful and very aware.
Especially, back in those early
days, a naif like me. These arcades
were open-fronted, nice days. No
real door or entryway, so all the
real lurkers cold lurk, staring
about to silently proclaim their
lechery. Male and/or female. So
much like today, in that realm.
Romero's was out, across the way,
and people passed the thoroughfare
constantly. It was unbelievable the
things you cold witness. Romeo's
was a spaghetti house, with 25 cent
plates of 'spaghetti,' by their terms,
but not so bad anyway, and an 
eating and viewing section at the
glass-front, with stools and a
counter, so if you wanted you
could gaze out as you ate.
Occasionally, you'd get to see
some police push-backs, even
a cracked skull, or the crazed,
deluded and delirious, screaming
about their case to Heaven.

No comments: