Sunday, January 27, 2019

11,498. RUDIMENTS, pt. 578

RUDIMENTS, pt. 578
(starting out forceful)
I never started out to be
forceful, though I did
become that eventually.
It was all about 'Authority,'
which I hated. Still do  -  it
comes from the swankiest
little bunch of low-lives
I can think. Even now, right
here, in this town. We've
got a mis-matched Mayor
with a mix-up somehow
having been done between
his ass and his face and with
neither of them holding a
mind. Of course, I've a
notion to keep my distance,
but nothing ever comes from
separation  -  unless you're
a lawyer or a judge. I'm
neither. But I play one on
TV. Like we have here : a
councilman who keeps no
counsel. Betrays his fellow
townspeople at very turn,
lives off their tax dollars,
and lies. Whose tongue is
like iron and whose mind is
an empty void. I pity the poor
immigrant, who's no-mind has
been toyed. In James Joyce's
'Ulysses,'page 239, there is talk
of payoffs and 'palmoil' (the 
greasing of inspectors' hands for 
passage of faulty conditions,
in reference to the General 
Slocum disaster, in NYC. Here's
what it says about 'America' in
answer to 'why' that happens: 
"Palmoil! Without a doubt. Well
now look at that. And America
they say is the land of the free. I 
thought we were bad here." I
smiled at him. "America," I said
quietly, just like that. "What is it?
The sweepings of every country
including our own. Isn't that true?"
"That's a fact. Graft, my dear sir.
Well of course, where there's
money going there's always
someone to pick it up"
-
There were lots of times when
I just had to get away. That's the
Lord's work  -  taking to the
highway and proselytizing my
own Freedom in the face of
all the other straitjackets
I kept seeing. One cold and
iced over January day I jumped
in my Jaguar and simply took
off, told no one, was just gone.
Pointed north, even got stuck
in all the (usual, I guess) sorts
of northbound Rt. One traffic,
(I didn't ever do toll roads back
then : State Police). Early morning
rush hour stuff, drones, the people
kind, dragging off to work in their
Falcons and Comets and Thunderbirds
and Skylarks. Where do they come
up with those names, and why?
I wasn't at all sure how far my
Jaguar would take me -  usually
about every 80 miles it needed a
new investment of some kind;
every expensive malfunction
you can think of, I had, over
time. But this day, dreamlike,
it took me right up to where I
was headed. Bennington, Vermont.
Not one problem, in the whole
driving world. I used to love
Bennington, and the Bennington
Hotel. Much like the Troy Hotel
I made mention of way back, it was
one of those outrageous, rambling,
Victorian era home hotels, built
all very seriously, room after room.
levels, porches, sitting rooms, a
vast lobby, and a taproom  - like
it was 1882 and the stage and the
rail were due in soon. Each little
landing on the interior stairways
had an oil painting of their own;
so out of time, as if 'Modern Art'
had never existed  -  perfectly
crafted cows and farms and and
barn scenes, Vermont snow scenes,
half buried fences, layers of blown
and drifted snow, animals with
steaming nostrils. There were
farmhouses in quaint clearings,
old implements, farm-harvest
machines, ancient wagons and
plows, gingham ladies, weird-
looking kids. Staring at them
each, there was a whole
education to be had, some
communal idea to be taken
away and accepted from it all,
as if 'Vermont' was making
itself up as it rolled along; in
slow time, in muddy time, deep
and deliberate. All this time,
I thought, to what had I been
fleeing, the Past? Or some Future
I still had no inkling of  -  or were
they not both meaningless and
of no different import at all?
Ethan Allen and his Green
Mountain  Boys weren't going
to be of any but theoretical help.
but, still, here I was again in
their kingdom.
-
Unlike the local lying magistrates and
fire-king peons hereabouts, getting
away for me meant getting strange;
the opposite of getting pleasant. I
wanted nothing to do with pleasant
at all. I hated pleasant. It killed.
Pleasant lied and double-spoke,
couldn't look you in the face and
tell the truth even about a blade
of grass. From which it would
probably want money first. There
are such things as men-whores
too. Up there somehow in
Bennington, the world was more
pure  -  crossing that border along
from the highways of New York
State, it all changed. The sky
was, immediately, a different
hue of blue, a real, strong blue
that took no prisoners. You
entered that kingdom at your
own peril  -  it tolerated no one
of bad intention, it suffered no
fools. Right across from the hotel,
and down about half a block, was
 -  unbelievably  -  a W.T Grant's
that appeared to have stepped
right out of a 1946 guidebook to
sedate social-services. You could
eat like a madman for a buck-twenty-
five. Tuesday night was 'Turkey Night.'
Friday was, of course, 'Fish Night.'
I took advantage of that scrap heap.
The inside of the place, the store and
the dining art, which actually also
had its own entrance, from the street,
for those who didn't come for the 
shopping. High-class food-dump,
for sure, but those gluttonous 
Vermont farm-folk near around
Bennington seemed to like it.
They were always packing around 
to dine in their flannels. It being
mid-January, I don't recall any
local thermometers topping 12
degrees, above zero that is, in the
daylight, while to every night
12 below was an old friend.
There was a supposed fancy-ass
girls' college in Bennington, famed
already for its poets and essayists
and lesbian writers. but all I ever
saw were horny maidens peeking
around corners. It was fun though,
and the guy at the hotel, who did
eventually become a chum, had an
indentation in his forehead (yes,
I've covered this before too) the
size of maybe being beaned,
flat-on, by a speeding baseball
or maybe a golf ball, at speed. it
was just a huge depression in the
middle of his forehead. You could
probably have taken a ping-pong
ball and, with some pressure, 
wedged it in there to stay. I
guessed it was a birth defect. It
couldn't have been a forceps pull,
I figured, at birth, because there
wasn't a matching one in the back
of his head. He stayed around
there much of each day; suit and
tie, fairly formal, managing to
keep going an old slightly gone
to seed but still mighty impressive,
grand old hotel  -  in the old style:
mail calls, bell-service, attendants.
I do forget if there was an elevator;
I never used one, luxuriating 
instead in those grand stairs and 
landings. I was not used to what
'massive' was, to these interiors 
of these old places. Modern motels
and all, they try maybe to come
close to the pretense of long
hallways and numbered doors,
but it's all missed  -  especially 
with the usual puke-fest now 
of card-entry and touch-pad 
doorways instead of the old
wooden doors and doorknobs 
and keys. What a waste. It's
like comparing some old Senator
Calhoun to the usual shits we
get now in town halls and
governmental palaces. Aces
with their centers burned out,
by comparison'
-
You could sit around, in a leather
armchair, all night, like a king, 
next to a roaring lobby fireplace.
Reading or writing. Or just sitting
there to watch the comings and 
goings - of salesmen from St. Louis
or Akron, for their quarterly visits
to the hardware or cutlery merchants,
to take new orders for the upcoming
season, and report and turn in sales
factors and numbers. Everything was
tangible, in paper ledger books, with
pens and notes. Men talked back and
forth; the world was real. Nothing
like now, with Vaseline-lubed 
eunuchs pretending to stick it to
each other in towns of nothingness
and filth. The world is a fallen
place. Wars, and rumors of war.


No comments: