Thursday, January 24, 2019

11,489. RUDIMENTS, pt. 574

RUDIMENTS, pt. 574
(abstracting my solids)
Normally, that kind of talk,
that Gilbert guy, was bar
talk  -  the sort of stuff
you'd get from some old
Irish guy at the end of the
rounded bar in Swift's or
one of those places  -  the 
endless talk and banter to
which you can't really 
respond except with a 
nudge or a nod, because
there'e not anything to
actually respond to except 
the conjecture of the clouds.
That's what bars are for.
This was different, a small
group of self-proclaimed
'new literati' getting corralled
by some already half-famous
but flamed out old guy with
a few notches on his belt.
Sustaining like an underwater
glory long after he cared even
if he was still breathing, let
alone drowned. I guess the
old always do begrudge the
young; or maybe it's just that
the young really are simply 
stupid. Everything's been 
done already, but they keep 
trying to do anew what they
think is new.
-
He said weird stuff too, things
I could never make out: 'When
you get old your brain doesn't
function as well after noon (?)
so I do my work late at night,
and in solitary. I put a lot of
effort in, because it matters
to me. I don't have a mortgage,
I don't write for obligations.
You have to be older to properly
understand any of that.'
-
And then he said: 'Someone
once asked Gandhi what he
thought of Western civilization.
He's supposed to have answered,
'I think that would be a very
good idea.' I think that's right,
but nothing much interests me
any more, so you guys go ahead
and kick the ball around. I'm
going across the street.' There was
a bar there, called Fentanyl's
or something like that.
He had just said that there was
a lot of  'poetry' coming out that
didn't need to be written. Famous
last words, from some old crank.
I wanted to tell him, 'Maybe not
for you, but it starts all over again 
for everyone, when they begin
themselves. It's not like you've
solved every problem there is by
solving it for yourself. Your 
puffy universalism bores me,'
but he was already gone and
I had no bar-money anyhow.
-
 I guess I was feeling my oats
and being ready to tell off some
old swineherder like him who was
painting all of us new guys with 
a big, broad, brush of the nasty.
I could understand all that, but
at the same time, screw him. All
his old versions of honor and
validity and all that, they were
dead and gone too and he just
didn't know it. He only had one
way of seeing, while us new guys
saw everything through a multiple
refraction that took one thing
and broke it  -  each thing  -  into
a hundred other facets. Our world,
our own stupid, 50's  kids world 
was already deeper  and denser 
and than his just because there
was more of it  -  through no 
fault of ours; it was his measly
generation  -  whether he was
claiming it or not  -  who'd done
all this to ruin the original ideas
of America. As far as I was
concerned, he could have it.
-
I once read something somewhere
that Mark Twain had said, and I
thought it was good : 'Start at no
particular time in your life; wander
at your free will all over your life;
talk only about the things that
interest you for the moment.' I
think that's a better way of 
looking at writing.
-
I always wanted to see the future,
and then I got to begin hearing
people, here and there, always
babbling about 'Actualizing' and
forming your own future. It was
kind of a New Age sort of typical
California BS that was going 
around  -  that if you could grab
the reins of your own thoughts,
and 'visualize' what you wanted,
it could come to be. It sounded
more like any psuedo-Malibu
skating the beach in your Speedo
kind of talk than anything else,
probably 'actualized' by potheads
and fey weirdos, but it certainly
wasn't fit for the darker and
dreary, rat-infested, environs of
'Greater (than what?) New York.'
To me it just sounded like they
were saying there could be as
many futures as you wished,
and it would be a different one
for each of us, or all of us, 
whichever 'future' we'd select;
but I'd always been told there
was one future, and it was the
same one, coming at all of us.
In fact, my entire life and all my
upbringing and schooling, all of 
society, the whole shebang, is 
based on the premise that there's 
but ONE future. And we accepted
that,  all down the line, all our entire 
lives. That's what society is. So what 
was this multiple-futures stuff? (I 
later found out lots more about this, 
but that's info here for the future,
(ha?) That was a big divide, and I
could never bridge it. Which
was odd for me, because I was
usually a pretty abstract guy, 
or thinker anyway, but that 
one always threw me. It just
sounded like crap. I was always
more Messianic, I guess : there's
ONE way, one future, and it's
the destruction of this rancid
Devil's kingdom were stuck in
and it's countered by your own
personal salvation, and if you're
not in that you're Hellbound
for ever and ever. Not that that
made much of anymore sense
to me either.
-
Being in art school like I was,
as loose and informal as it may
have been, my mind there was
always embroiled with heavy 
thoughts, about art and writing,
and a synthesis of the two 
which taught me that there 
was no  distinction between 
them. Even though most all 
of the Studio School folks
seemed to only be visual art
people and not much otherwise
concerned with words or any
exposition in that manner. 
That was another curious 
point. All these famous
people  -  rock stars and 
all  -  they suddenly seemed 
everywhere to be painters too  
-  there were 'art' shows by 
the weirdest people  -   Joni 
Mitchell, Bob Dylan, John 
Mellencamp, Paul McCartney,
they and others of the same ilk, 
were all of a sudden 'Painters' 
of a collectible value and some
stature. Monetary stature anyway;
I don't know who actually collects
this stuff as 'Art' other than people
who collect it to buy and sell later
a 'Name' art. Which is different;
no longer Art, just commodity.
In any case, as I viewed that work
I realized that, for the most part,
all they ever panted were 'scenes',
idealized or not, stuff they'd seen
or visualized from seeing  -  lanes
and roads, country cottages, fields
of flowers, city streets, rain scenes,
boats and water, etc. I wondered
why that was; why were they so
'grounded' in that world? All the
other things they'd done, the music
angle, the push was to always
how unique and treasured their
views were. It turned out that
they could only see one way : the
outside 'real 'world as the way and
shape of all things. Why reproduce
all that? I was so far removed and
out of the way with that  -  I found
for myself the need for story in
the abstract, imparting something,
slapping psychologically, leaving
a mark. They were solidifying 
their abstractions. I wanted to be 
abstracting all my solids. My
conclusion was that the sort of
life they were forced into living, 
stardom and travel and all, gave 
them no choice but to grab at 
something solid. They were 
trying to 'actualize a real world, 
one that wasn't a speedy blur 
to them. I was headed out, 
in the'other direction, for sure.

No comments: