Thursday, January 3, 2019

11,445. RUDIMENTS, pt. 554

RUDIMENTS, pt. 554
('look back in anger?')
I could say this this country
has gone to the dogs, but I
wouldn't want to denigrate 
my dog, and the place she
inhabits is far too good for
the likes of what I'm saying.
All my life it's been a sliding
scale of loss and decay, the
things we've given away; 
and I believe it starts with 
Hollywood. And you know 
the rest. Fitzberg.
-
I was able to see a  lot of 
this as I settled in to NYC. 
In 1967, weird as it may 
now seem, in a day and 
time when this is not
any longer heard, the 
big problem in New York 
was Puerto Ricans. They 
seemed everywhere; they 
embodied the idea of people
living in slums, nasty, rotten,
slick and dumpy. And the 
wise-ass Puerto-Rican punk 
was a type. Chino pants. 
Diminutive stature, pumping 
himself up as if to be what 
he could not be except by a
punky aspiration. The Puerto
Rican babe became another 
small and simple sexual 
stereotype. And then it all 
disappeared. I don't know
what happened. One day
there just was no longer a 
'Spic' scene, as the rash
colloquialism had it  -  the
busboys, cooks, sweepers,
and countermen had all 
changed over to something 
else. It's very cool how that
turnover occurs, and I began
wondering, or watching for,
how many other times it 
happened, or some like scene.
Like any other beleaguered
ethnic group, Puerto Ricans
were basically treated badly.
What was known as San Juan
Hill, their own particular
housing area, was razed for 
Lincoln Center, in the early 
'60s. They were seen as as
expendable and useless, an
unrefined culture, and the
culture crowd  -  an American
version of the John Lennon's
'Just rattle your jewelry' crowd - 
needed the precious space 'they'
were wasting, for their operas
and plays and ballet and
recitals. They were gone and
little heard from again; Rita
Moreno, take that. My friend 
Juanita Elefante went through 
all of this with her own family,
 of which, in fact, only half 
was Puerto Rican. I recall the
other half as Filipino.
-
Funny world, how we end 
things up. Blacks and Negroes
there always were. They had 
Harlem  and jazz and zoot suits 
and flash, at least, to run along 
with their poverty  -  but the 
same abject disdain was 
prevalent. I got there in
time to see a lot of it still 
running; the curtain hadn't 
yet fallen on that stuff. Has 
it yet? Probably not; it's just
covered better.
-
I think Silence should have a
capital 'S'  -  at all times and
in every usage. The Silence
of ignoring injustice, or of 
turning away from a slight.
We live with a million things
around us always, people
getting taken advantage of, 
cheated, ignored, or faulted.
One time I was in the middle 
of Grand Central Station with 
a guy from California. It was
about 1972; this guy was
generally nice enough about
everything, with a lot of the
then-prevalent California fervor
about hands-off, let others be,
and all that. That was quite
'Californian' compared to
anything then here. I made
the point to him that 'this, 
being New York,' it could 
possibly present to him,
during the course of his
visit, many things he wasn't 
used to, and that he should
just remain cool. No sooner
were the words out of my my 
mouth when some black guy 
sidles up to us, a bit aggressively,
yes, but, after all, it was
1972, and starts his harangue
for money, aid, assistance.
Oh, boy! My friend then
immediately cracks! Some
very personal sense of space
had, for him, been invaded, and
he goes right back at the guy, in
his face, loudly, 'Get away from
me! I don't want to talk to you, I
don't want to hear you! You
come one step nearer and you'll
be sorry...' Holy Graham Crackers,
Batman, pipe down! You'll start
a freaking race-riot right here!
I spoke up, getting between them,
moving the beggar-guy off, and
dragging my Cali-Burger friend
off in another direction.
-
Nothing bad came of this except
for my own surprise at the lethal
quality of the otherwise laid-back
Joe I thought I had with me. What
was he reacting to? I tried to figure
it out  -  Race? Color? Attitude?
Approach? The 'asking' for money?
In New York City, and in those
years, and in such public space
as these, things like that were
on at all times  -  you basically
gave the schmuck a quarter or
reacted not at all. The ignorance
of ignoring others, balanced 
always by the realization that 
you cannot, simply cannot, be
everyone's savior and/or everyone's
free banker. You just shrug, and
move on. The streets were filled
with the dead, and the idea was 
to not become one of same.
-
I had no idea what had gotten
into my friend  -  (same guy who
blew his brains out 30 years later)  -
but I should have sensed something
was amiss. It's a touchy world,
(dog eat dog, to overuse that
canine metaphor aspect again?),
and people are always getting
hurt, abused, or shunted aside.
Walk gently through that night,
my friends, and with nary
a hesitant step.









No comments: