Thursday, January 10, 2019

11,461. NOTHING TO BE GAINED

NOTHING TO BE GAINED
There's nothing to be gained by
a starry, starry night and I don't
care a whit. I crashed my Chevy
at the levee, after driving to it.
What difference did it make 
anyway? My Daddy lost his 
job making them long before
I lost my job crashing them.
-
I came from a long line of ghosts,
and the family reunions got pretty
crowded, even though you couldn't
see a 'damn o'nothing.' I just went
along. Hello there, Uncle Jed
and Great Grandpa Dave. We
drank 'til we were stupid again, at
dawn. Hello there Grandad Billy,
Hello Great Grandpa Ken.
-
So, see how easy that was? There
was nothing to be gained  -  nor
nothing to be lost. These times
now are different, and now I'm 
pretty old, but I can still see.
I got a neighbor with a still, and
he keeps bringing me whiskey.
Right down the drain, and I
refill it with water and he thinks 
I'm a drunk. Nothing to be gained,
but at least I ain't sunk.



No comments: