Friday, January 25, 2019

11,492. I NEVER WENT TO ALTAMONT

I NEVER WENT TO ALTAMONT
pt.2
I never went to Altamont though I
could have  -  like some gunnery
guy watching the crowd go by. 
I'd bet it was on a Tuesday and
I'd put my money down on the 
rehearsal, though I heard they
never practiced death nor ran
through any other songs they
did not play. I wanted to be a
poet not a lackey.
-
What a memory though. I almost
really was a star. From. Afar.
-
I admit we wandered far and wide
like some caravan  of angels from 
the other side, but this was wrongly
labeled as some New Age dawning.
That it was  -  most certainly  -  not.
All we got was 'Strawberry Alarm Clock'
-
By the edge of twenty, many of us 
were dead anyway : wrung out and
 flattened, napalm'd in our morning tea, 
done and finished, quietly. Kent State 
was a tryout for the grand soliloquy.
-
As I went to school I majored in
bleakness and learned little at all.
The Comets and the Meteors we'd
all been expecting turned out to be
nothing more than cars.

No comments: