Sunday, January 13, 2019

11,471. RUDIMENTS, pt. 564

RUDIMENTS, pt. 564
(what was the name of that book again?)
I've seen lots of Winters and
lots of cold. Ice. Vermont.
Pennsylvania heights, way up
over things, where the regular
night air crystallizes and just
floats down as something but
you're not sure what  -  snow,
ice crystals, something in the
air. When I worked in Elmira
but still lived in Pennsylvania,
those 20 miles down to Columbia
Crossroads each Winter evening
could be a real trip; a snow-bound
panic. It took real guts sometimes'
to even think about traveling.
But I did it every night and never
did need any stay-over motel room,
though, sure, sometimes I wanted
one. Down by the Arnot-Ogden
Hospital there was a Dunkin'
Donuts, a few cheesy and low
down diner type eateries, and a
Holiday Inn, I think it was. They
had some girls there too, working
the double shift. Trouble was,
in Elmira, I liked mine with
teeth, and having such high
tastes as that, it sure cut one
out of the local loop. Thanks be.
My best friend up there, back
then, was a girl named Kristen,
from Hamburg, NY. She's dead
now; early on, actually, and I
still get sad.
-
What always ran me down was
just that  -  sadness. All my life
it was like it dogged me. Seeing
road kill often made me just hate
God. I never saw road kill come
back to life; and lots of times
I prayed over it  -  to that 'God'  -
that whatever lost life force had
been in that animal could be
turned back into me and I could
store it and make something of'
myself with it, and do some good
for everyone else. Never happened,
and I just ended up being the
biggest flop you'd ever want to
meet and I'm still sorry over all
of it. Lord knows, half the time
I spent hating myself could
have probably been put to far
better use of my own volition
and I could have quit annoying
this God-concept over it. What
a waste I was and even have
been. Nothing else ever bothered
me before, really, but now 70
sure does. I don't want to be
70  -  of course, I mean, I
WANT to be 70, and surely
hope I can be, but how the
hell this ever happened to me
is BEYOND the me of me. I'm
still waiting to be 10, and now
I get clonked with 70  -  like
getting a speeding ticket for
freaking standing still! I
sometimes think that whoever
knit this sweater of 'me' missed
a stitch or two, or hit knit when
they should have pearled, or
whatever the heck all this is.
I have people now making
concerned fun at me for being
cranky because I can't face
age. I tell 'em their wrong.
I can face age, but the dilemma
has no choosing and I'm not
cranky, just enraged...Oh, well;
all that's too over the top for
me to go on about, but it's like
jail-cell isolation when you get
stuck in these stupid routines,
every day traveling back and
forth to some dismal destination
to have to work and then drive
it all again back home. The cars
running, the wheels are turning,
underneath you the blasted
road is spinning by, your brain's
on fire with some few ideas,
you can't wait, you're in a hurry
but you can't really talk, nor
even hurry for that matter. It's
all just stuck in place, but you're
moving and so everything is
moving with you so it all looks
like nothing's moving anyway
except for the slow curvature
and turn of the distance against
your own foreground and that
difference is the stasis, the
more or less fixed point where
it is we all live, together, while
all else outside of us is just as
wildly speeding by and breaking
apart and making blurs and
shadows and sometimes noise.
Light. Speed. Sound.
-
Inside the place, this book
warehouse was a tough sell too.
Just like Barnes & Noble was,
and even later the actual store
at Princeton, it was always
difficult for me to accept, or
get into my head, books as
industrial commodities. In
these warehouse and volume
set-ups any book might have
been a widget. Something
that came in  a $7.71 cents,
say (cheap, random number),
came in in some quantity, say
a quantity of 12, and was
expected to sell and leave at,
perhaps, $11.50, all twelve of 
them. (Again random numbers)
are being used). It was hard
for me, used to thriving in
the old Book Row, Fourth Ave.,
stores  -  where each book was
in a singular, and precious, and
curious, and tidy, way. Back then,
to me, a 4 dollar book was an
expensive and dear item, need
I say 'commodity.' The old guys
running these places were dark,
and bent, and solitary. Little talk,
less business. Just look, browse
and, maybe, transact. But you
didn't have to. In 1967, the way
the book trade was working,
pre-B&N and superstores for
books, there was no push, no
merchandising, and, certainly,
none of this 'warehousing' as if
they were kid-toys or somesuch.
All these half wealthy, turn of
the last century old folk, were
dying off, and  -  in the eyes of
others  -  with them went their
dingy, old, homes and brownstones,
books and possessions, cabinets
and watches, jewelry and clothes.
Everything was on the market,
most especially all those old
properties. These Book Row
buys ended up  -  (you've got
to realize what prices were like
back then, in the 60's) being
sold with small scribbled pencil
numbers on the flyleaf  -  75 cents,
one dollar. A two-dollar and fifty
cents book was expensive enough
to maybe once have been owned
by Vanderbilt or Morgan. There
were no dust jackets, none of
the colorful graphics, images or
book-designs we get now. All
was dull, and looked about the
same  -  dark, blue or black,
fabric covers, pressed maybe
on the front and spine with gold
or whatever, for title and author.
'The Three Musketeers' looked
just like 'Moby Dick' which
looked about the same as 'Light
In August.' All the world, in
these terms, was equal. The
past was getting thrown out
like it was junk  -  the idea of
a 'book' industry hadn't yet
dawned. These were all textured
and letter-pressed pages with
strong, solid, plain covers. None
of that breast-baring, page-turning
stuff. If you were wildly, weirdly
lucky, you'd stumble on something
by Madame Blavatsky or Rudolph
Steiner and think you'd gone to
Heaven. There wasn't much
conversation inside; and some of
these places were dark enough that
at the end of each aisle, with a
little click-on reading lamp,
was a podium-type shelf-end
where you could do your
reading. It was insane. Ladies
would come dragging in with
three big bags of belongings
they traipsed the streets with,
just to sit a bit or use a bathroom.
Regulars enough so that they
never got scolded or even
scoffed at. Men smelled  - 
rank, or maybe of peanut butter.
Furtive crumbs and traces of
nut-shells; all so strange. I
can remember  at least 6 or
8 of these places,  from Biblo
& Tannen on  -  all gone now.
Killed by  ignorance? Or
maybe  just neglect.
-
Here's how the book industry, 
at this bulk level, works. At 
Millwood, in stocking the store,
even though remotely, books
came to us in volume  -  on
skids, corrugated-container
skids, for bulk shipping, and
self- contained. These things
are called 'Gaylords'  -  that's
a standard term for secured
bulk-packaging in the container
and cargo industry, named from
the Gaylord Container Company,
which first made them. These
Gaylords came to us after 
having been bought at auction
or otherwise purchased for
bookstore resale. Usually they
were by subject, 'I've got two
Gaylords of History, and one
of Psychology, coming in
today.' Again here, I'm 
guessing, but let's say 350 
books in the Gaylord, 
purchased at bid, for $2.30
per book (again, a complete
guess). We would go through
each, book by book, (it was
sometimes quite dreary), day
after day  -  looking up the
book on a bookselling 
reference site, by ISBN, 
online. From that would 
come the ranking, some
info, and an appx. sales-point
and price reference. All of 
which we each had to sort 
and enter for that book into
the inventory. The books 
were then re-packed, for 
eventual truck-shipment
to Princeton. Yes, where we
got to re-enter again, to proof
the arrivals, and then set up
for shelving and categories.
Whew, is right. A lot different
from those old  Book Row,
Fourth Avenue days. But that's
how, eventually and over time,
the whole idea of books as
business went. And I'd
stepped right in it.

No comments: