Tuesday, January 8, 2019

11,457. RUDIMENTS, pt. 559

RUDIMENTS, pt 559
('did they ever catch that guy?')
The Chappaqua train station 
was pretty cool, but it was one
of those self-aware, miracle-mile,
train stations with bagel and 
coffee and donut and commuter
breakfast places all in a row. It
was mostly useless to me, for
even with Metro North I'd 
still need a car at each end, or
a miserable and switchy train
ride, like all morning and then
all evening. Plus the parking.
And it wasn't walkable anyway
from there to Millwood. As
high-rolling as any of this book
warehouse stuff aimed to be,
it was suburban to the extent
that American commerce of 
most any sort is  -  wheels, 
gas, and motors needed. It's
a nice little place though.
-
The book warehouse, the 
physical plant, shared space 
with a tire distributor, at the
far other end of the building.
No interference or even
intermingling. Cars and 
car-spots in the usual array 
of parking lot junk; down a
small hill, with some nicer,
older and quite simple country
homes pressed in. As you drove
out, up from the lower area,
you passed all these older
homes, 3 or 4 of them, and 
it was a little sad to have
to realize the encroachment,
I guessed, all along the area,
from what I saw, that  -  like
anywhere else  -  the raw
countryside was rapidly
diminishing. Land clearance,
some new homes, tree-cutters,
all of that was underway in
many spots, and I surmised
that, 70 years previous, with
the coming of the ringed 
highways all about, the same
thing had happened before, and
maybe in a worse way  -  all
those new car/travel ideas
and the roads they brought 
made a massive difference 
to the isolation and the slower
peace and quiet that once must 
have been here. That's the way
it all went, and if it weren't
for that, in fact, even I would
not have been there.
-
So, the job had to work for 
me; I had too much invested.
It took me a while to jiggle the
part to make it work for me and,
frankly, it never was a good fit.
But, they stayed with me, as I
stayed with them. The funniest
thing was  -  the actual guy I
worked for was one of those
guys (nicest guy in the world,
I'd guess, otherwise) who had
two voices. It was striking, and
weirdly cool, but always a bit
disappointing too, for you knew
what was coming. When he was
talking to me or you, let's say,
he'd rattle off, in  a regular 'I'm
from New York' tone, the usual
sentiments and sentences you'd
expect. But, whenever the subject
got higher  -  intellectual, studies,
writers, philosophy stuff  -  it (the
voice) changed dramatically and
rolled right into this almost sham,
but not quite, intellectual-eze.
Which meant slower talk and
emphasis, the head held up,
pauses, concentration on vowels,
and something like 'I told you so'
sneer in the words. It was always
like that; curious and probably
not that abnormal in those
circles. I'd imagine, and I 
witnessed a few, when people
like Cornel West or Chris Hedges
went head to head in conversation
with him (either of those people
were often around), it was all
high-toned and open-ended
academic rhetoric, with each
one sort of picking up the others
sentences. Funny stuff. Maybe
it's like that with grocers, and 
cabbies too  -  talking IN with 
the IN crowd you've got.
-
I remember when Barack Obama
got inaugurated, the entire
staff, except for me and one or
two others, cleared out, over to
the Princeton Library, to watch
the broadcast inaugural on a 
large-screen broadcast they'd
set up for the town. An hour 
or two. It was a really big deal
to all of them. I was already
pretty jaded by tax-supported
political types, but they really
thought this guy had the dice
and the roll all set. Sometime
after that, I was downstairs with 
this owner-guy and he got all
high-running again with me,
going on  -  and I can remember
the quote exactly  -  and the
sudden change of voice, the high
patter, the deliberateness : 'Yes,
but you know Lincoln wasn't 
considered a great President
until after he left office...' The
premise behind this was the 
2008 financial crisis that he 
was  supposedly inheriting. It
was some sort of perfectly
acceptable, academic, logic
that I just let go. They had
this Obama guy on Rushmore
before he'd even taken his
first leak in the White House.
-
Speaking of which, here in
Woodbridge, in a couple of 
weeks, there's a Lincoln
impersonator coming in to 
town, at the local Barron Arts
Center, to do his Lincoln act
about the Civil War times and
all. I got my reservations in
today, for the advanced-note
seating. So all day I've been
thinking up this comedy 
routine about Lincoln. Like,
'Well, Mr. Lincoln, what can
you tell us about your White
House time?' Lincoln says,
'Oh it was OK. But the White
House back then was a bit 
dreary, black flags and dead
soldiers all around, medical
wards and encampments.
That war was miserable. And
then, you know, my kid died 
in there, the wife was a little
nuts  -  always buying things,
racking up these huge bills,
stuff I could hardly afford.
Many thought she was crazy.
Maybe she was taxing, and
sometimes even annoying,
but, well, I don't know about
crazy, exactly. She was haunted
by our dead son, yeah. She
always wanted to go out, 
plays, recitals, theater, and
oh how I hated that stuff.
That one night, of course,
she just HAD to go out, to
that Ford's Theater place to
see 'Our American Cousin,'
nagging me for two weeks.'
Oh then, Mr. President, you
didn't like the play? Or what 
did you think of it?' Lincoln
replies, 'Think of it? I never
did get to see the end, so I
don't know. They were 
dragging me out by that 
time... Diabolical, pestilential
types they all were. Not a
moment's piece. But, hey,
did they ever catch the guy?'
-
I'd sure like to show up there
to see the REAL Mr. Lincoln,
and ask him a little about
what he thinks over the way
things here in his beloved 'Nation'
have ended up. Blood, sweat, and
tears indeed, (Mr. Churchill). As
Lincoln once said, upon being
dissatisfied one morning at his
hotel room lobby breakfast service:
'If this is coffee, bring me tea.
If this is tea, I'll have coffee.'
(real quote, no goof).

No comments: