Thursday, January 3, 2019

11,442. RUDIMENTS, pt 553

RUDIMENTS, pt. 553
('god us forbid')
As an artist, God wrote
the folio of this world and
wrote it badly. Hmmm?
Another good one; this
time, James Joyce. I've
never (yet) been one to
presume to write about
the ways of God, (though
I suppose I have come close
enough. But what matters
that now?)...
-
It used to be you could walk
up or down Bleecker Street
and always find something
to catch your attention. If
you wished for something a
bit better-classed, a simple
left down MacDougal or
Sullivan would get you that.
Chess clubs, a little less nose,
not as much honking in the
street. Alcohol could be had
most anywhere; no code word
or any further lies needed.
If you went into the park,
any of ten black guys would
immediately come at you with
their weirdly whispered chants
of marijuana to buy. Mr. Furtive.
They all had the same name.
Washington Square, though
'neated-out' much differently
than Tompkins Square, pretty
much served much the same
purpose, though a bit more
nice about. It was very funny,
all the protocols of finesse and
the differences that went into
the park trades. Guys and
girls  -  make your choice
please. Reefer or whatever.
The mad fellows at the chess
boards; back then they were
a different sort, not like now.
These were old guys, slow and
deliberate, playing and staring
down at the boards, probably
in their old suits and hats too.
Now they play speed chess,
timed by the move, running the
clock, and they all act and move
like some speed-freak Kramer
wiped out on caffeine. It was
all a different world, not at all
slap-stick, though that's almost
the feeling you got. Remember
Joan Baez, singing that song
about, 'that crummy old hotel
over Washington'Square.'
-
One time, when I had a car,
I was cruising up Route One,
by the airport, on my way in  -
Holland Tunnel bound.
Somewhere between the
airport and the skyway I
saw two hitchhikers. They
caught my eye immediately
because  -  I've got to say  -
it was Summer, and she was
eye-catching. (Ok, I'm a jerk).
Even back then, whatever it
was, 1969, hitchhiking was
fading away  -  considered
unsafe, unsavory, whatever.
I couldn't have cared less.
These two were French, and
they were traveling the USA.
I'd seen it all a thousand times
at the Studio School, where
there was an American Youth
Hostel right next store. Euro-kids
everywhere  -  exotic fabrics and
footwear, clothing, even faces
and habits. French cigarettes
thick like baseball bats. German
guys at 6"2', with German girls,
at 6'1". The most fantastic people
you'd ever imagine  -  all about
the same age as I was, give or
take, and all out for the grand
pleasure of their walk or bicycle
tour of whatever Province of
'Amerika' they'd get to  -  the
mix of cross-country plans,
New England, the South, or
Texas, or D.C. Who cared?
Anyway, these two, and their
paltry bag or three had skipped
buses or mass transit or taxis
(economy move) and had
decided, like Dorothy to Oz,
that they could hoof their way
to that magic city, direct, and
from the airport. I assumed
they'd already successfully
known the difference between
the skyline of Newark ('God
us forbid!' were his words),
and that of New York City.
I guess it was doable, using the
meager side-walks and grasses
of the truck route. I don't think
one would wish to walk the
skyway, and I certainly couldn't
see, let's say, a successful fare
at the Holland Tunnel. So
unless they could walk on
water, which feat I still harbored
as being saved for me, they'd
be pretty much stranded. So
I took them on. They were
really great together; we talked
as I drove. The whole language
thing worked fine, plus, I was
driven a Renault 4CV! They
felt right at home. Entering
the city, they gave me their
destination  -  if I'd be so kind
to get them there - as the
Waverly Hotel. A cinch, I
knew it exactly, and got them
right to the front door. Said
Au Revoir, and that was that.
Never got names or places,
and all this way predates any
computer stuff. So, 2 French
people who are now too nearing
70, if you're out there and can
recall the fool who drove you
to the Waverly Hotel, that
was me. Please contact...
-
I'd never really been exposed,
back then, to the urban hotel
scene. It's quite different from
the highway 'Motel' scene. In
fact, it's fascinating. Strange
and exotic too. For me, it
always remained out of reach,
except for the few times when
I went in because whomever
I was with or visiting, was
lodging therein. Lobbies.
Thick, real armchairs and
lounges, glass pedestal ashtrays,
wood, large spaces, heavy
carpeting, rows of phones (in
the really big ones, like the
Pennsylvania Hotel at 34th,
near Penn Station - thus the
Pennsylvania Railroad name
touch). Up on Lexington
Ave, just a little above Grand
Central, was the Roger Williams
Hotel  -  totally unique and
self-identifying. But, these
village hotels, like the Waverly,
the Greenwich, or Earle, they
characterized the ambiance of
the place they represented.
(There was always the Chelsea
Hotel, (or Hotel Chelsea) but
that was another case and
completely of its own). When
you got to one of these places,
you knew where you were.
There was no gauze for the
wound. Things just developed,
and you accepted them, or 
you (please) moved on. The 
questions and categories were 
all different. That's what I used
to hate about having to explain
or answer questions, especially
to Avenel people, or Woodbridge
people (often, like, COPS),
about what I as doing, or how 
and where I was 'living' in
New York City. The questions
and the categories really were
all different, and whatever I
was 'doing' had no real way
of being explained. It was
always a very difficult moment.
People expect uplift and effort
towards their already
pre-conceived notions
of progress and success. The
assumption was/is that a person
was on their way up; working
at something to achieve a
goal. It was all such balderdash.
In much the same way as, today,
saying, 'I'm a bike messenger,'
or 'I deliver restaurant orders
to any of a million apartments,'
or, even 'I drive for Uber'  -
the conclusion is that you're
slumming, slacking off, a fool
and a goof. Get real. These
are all problems for others;
they were never mine. 'I'm
getting accosted by gay, black 
men; I'm eating out of dumpsters;
I'm stealing; I'm sleeping in
the park, or on a theater 
overhang.' Yeah, OK, try 
any of that the next time 
you're in HR speaking with
a local Human Resources
Manager. You'll go far.
-
There's maybe only ever a fine
line between expectation and reality.
These two French kids did it for me;
it was as if taking on another portion
of the outer world and holding it.
watching it along, even helping. They 
came from somewhere so different that
it immediately appeared to me that all
Americans had ever done was pantomime.
Some derivative and pale imitation of
the Old World we all so proudly heard
about. Why did we hold such reverence
for the immigrants in our past? My
grandmother used to refer to them as
'Greenhorns.' She say, in talking about
someone, 'Oh, he came here as a 
Greenhorn and moved where he could.'
Talking about the neighboring grocer
family in old Bayonne....or whatever;
it was just always her general point.
The only thing I ever made of it was
like deer, in the woods, when they 
get that  mossy coating on their new
horns, the males. For that period
of time, their 'horns' are green  - 
they are young, restless, wild.
Their future awaits.



No comments: