Tuesday, January 15, 2019

11,475. MAX

MY VISIT WITH MAX
All went well; well as can be.
He lives now in this broad-shouldered
dump on 17th, next to a guy who's
always playing some sort of flute.
'Like living next to Pan!' I told him.
He laughed, but I'm nor sure he even
understood. Max right now is 103, and
says his goal is to be the oldest living
man in New York. I said 'That's too easy.
Anybody can do that. Being the oldest
dead man in New York  -  now that's
a real challenge. Are you up to that?'
He said he wanted something to eat.
He looked for tea. I went down and
over to 19th; some little Indian shed
with Manjuran Pata food trays. For
$7.99 I bought him one. And a lottery
ticket too. I figured, 'What the Hell!
When you're that old, take a chance
on life for others!' (I gave him the
food, but kept the ticket. And the
flute guy was still playing).

No comments: