Saturday, January 26, 2019

11,494. RUDIMENTS, pt. 576

RUDIMENTS, pt. 576
('I am lily brutal-white')
I always tried to stay level,
keep my head screwed on
right, and walk a sort of
solitary line. I did mostly
succeed but boy did
adventures come with it.
Mostly because I never knew
what people were thinking
of me. That was a difficult
part  -  I left a lot of younger-
life friends behind, and
ignored a lot of others. It
was nerve and and shyness,
both. All these years later
it still goes on  - I don't
know what people expect;
everything usually gets
blown out of proportion, or
mis-represented. My best
relationships have always
been with people on the
periphery of 'me'  -  like
service guys, the UPS and
FedEx guys at the bookstores
where I worked, amid all
the assorted comings and
goings of truck drivers and
delivery people, or even the
people sent in to do stupid stuff;
putting up metal shelving, or
changing light bulbs and doing
maintenance work. All that
was always stupendous. We
just talked, bantered, threw
ideas and memories around,
cussed and howled together.
There was no emotional tie
or cross-current to have to
deal with, each of us just
said what was up and that
was that. Sure, people talk
too much, but at least they
don't want something from
you or you're not beholden
to them in some job-status
type of relationship. Back at
St. George Press, before he
retired, maybe in the mid
1980's, there was a mailman
who seemed to use that stop
as a boredom break  -  boy
did he talk, and I figured it
had to just be us/me because
if he did that all along his
route he'd still be delivering
at midnight each day.
-
I made sure that I steered
clear of that sort of stuff
whenever I could, but, 
knowing the times I could
not, Nonetheless, accepting 
that  -  I made a good go of 
it all. My way of passing
time was to write and to
record as much of everything
that I could. I almost had
it in my mind that I could
faithfully reproduce all of
it, at some later date, in a
published and self-made
way. I had that little magazine
going for a while, but I never
mixed this 'recording' idea
into it, even as I did mean to.
I'd meet people and sit and
they'd start talking. Most did;
most people are more than
happy to engage, after they
first ascertain that you're not
an axe-murdered (who'd want
to murder an axe anyway?)
or a kidnapper. My proximity,
often, to regular singular and
bizarre people brought a lot
of unique things my way.
-
Once I got that little 'Transom
Publications' thing going, I made
business cards, an ID card, (like a
press pass), had it laminated and
I hung one clipped onto my
notebook, with another hanging
off the strap of my camera, and
I always had one or two Transom
current issues to give out. It all
went to prove my point, show
some validity, and most all of
these arts and music crowd types,
at a loft party, a gallery seat, or
a bar or diner, were most happy
to speak for ten minutes our
whatever while I scribbled some
no-promises notes of what they
were saying. If I ended up
using any of it, I sent them
a copy. Otherwise, nothing.
-
A lot of these New York types
were fakers. Nothing against that,
it's how we all take on personas
to live by; but these were funny
too sometimes, in that a complete
insularity, of pose and of means,
had taken them over  -  they were
thereby convinced that by their
definitions only they existed.
It was a very sterile thing, and
very often quite self-referential.
Having it done correctly, this
form of character-act parody
is sometimes really effective.
Here was an artist-lady once I
spoke with, very talkative, but
strange too, about her 'fabric-art'
show at a gallery,in the galley.
Probably owing a lot to Judy
Chicago (you can look that up).
-
"I am Lily Brutal-White, and
I can walk away whenever I
wish. But in the meantime I'll
stay right here, and we can talk  - 
I live in a narrow loft-space, the
same space I work in. Violating
city code, I guess. I work on my
cloth sculptures, here, as you
can see. I also make containers
of lead and hammered metal. A
few of my friends, with me, also
have a music group, 'The Liens'.
We play at small places, like
the 'Leading Edge' on 9th street,
or over at Waldron's on 18th.
Nothing much, a lot of noise,
some metal music, lights and
the rest. Harmonics, bass, and
percussion, nothing much but
it works. We have fun. I enjoy
doing it,. Usually there are 4
of us, other times more, or less.
There isn't much else to say on
that  -  sometimes I read poetry
aloud, even sometimes of a
self-made instant sort : I start
with a newspaper, the music
is going, and from that I find
and use words and quotes,
quickly selected, and things
from memory, and I 'proclaim.'
That's what I call it actually.
Proclaimed Poetry. It's usually
one of a kind stuff, because it
can never be repeated and I
don't save anything. The great
drama here, you see, the mask
that makes it vivid, is the factor
of it being instant and ephemeral.
Disposable, as it goes. You'll
never get it twice!" I thought
that was pretty cool  -  not
especially important, not even
unique because I'd heard of
'cut-ups' before, and had seen
others do it, most notably
Burroughs (another time). Yet,
her and her brazen approach
were interesting, and, as I
mused, SHE had the at show
here, not me. Must be good
for something.
-
"I'm a princess Cinderella but
I know it won't last. The carriage
is for sure a pumpkin sooner
than I'd like." Then she went
on some about fouler stuff, and
females, and the streets of New 
York, and the kinds of things 
people sometimes have to do 
to get by. Her own perspective 
was skewed, but I understood
well enough  -  "I got here with 
nothing and I can be anything
I want to be with nothing. That's
the charm of New York. I want
excitement and I crave the action
and that is what New York's art
world is for me."
-
This sort of thing was all over
the places I frequented  -  lofts,
galleries, dark spots, and even 
the numerous small studios in
which people painted and worked.
There was, in those years,a quaint
dishevelment going on between
the old, industrial, use of lofts  - for
machine ships, small manufacture,
garment and finishing industries;
people were just moving in and
cheaply taking these places over.
Sleeping and living in the same
high-loft spaces they worked. 
Industrial elevators. Poor heat.
Weak water and lousy toilets.
Everything was old, but spacious.
On the west side streets from 17th
and around, I'd go  -  and I was
constantly fascinated by what I
saw. Later the same thing happened
in what became 'Soho' but that took
longer and had a classier bent right
from the start. These lofts I'm
her writing of were harsh and
gritty, and the years were early, 
so there was a much different feel 
from those of the later 70's and 
80's, when the real transitions 
took place.  Drugs too were always
around, but I stayed clear of the
most of it. Here's another excerpt,
from something else I wrote, and
I guess that night there was a pot
party that was part of it.
-
"There was really a lot of black
and white enamel and porcelain, 
and some greenery too, and it
really didn't look so bad. Plants,
and a couple of mattresses over 
in one corner, and then a bunch 
of wood and easels and paint-cans
and a small set-up for like domestic
stuff at the far end and the big, broad
windows. I looked down onto the
next street over and there were 
small storefronts with flowers and
dresses and handbags, a whole
mix of different items. But it was
peaceful to look at. This was the
rear of the building, on this street.
I heard water boiling,  that jumbly
noise it makes, steam rising, and
someone was  making tea. I never
much cared for tea. And then I
saw someone brought a smoke
pipe out and the next thing I 
knew there were people all about, 
smoking and passing pipes. It 
got pretty silent for me and the 
old blue light along the window
faded slowly, as it actually seemed
to come into the room and take
on a personality of its own, all
among the rest of us there, and I
felt it was ready to talk to us, and
the plants nearby moved a little
in some odd kind of plant-breeze
that I must have missed but I
think it was actually right behind
me and the walls had cracks and
ripples I hadn't noticed before and
sometimes they did seem to spell
things out. I couldn't tell. Couldn't
make much sense; and someone
talked and the whole thing moved
like a picture or something and I
then noticed outside how the light
refracting from other windows
crowded, trying to get in and I
realized we were at the center 
of a universe right then at that 
moment really quiet but strong
and centered on something and 
it was night, soon enough again, 
things had been changing. I fell 
asleep, I guess, and woke up early 
the next morning at light and crept 
out and went back to the street 
below, walking.















No comments: