Thursday, January 17, 2019

11,478. RUDIMENTS, pt 567

RUDIMENTS, pt. 567
(thanks for so much)
There was a time (fairyland, 
wonderland, all the glories of 
of expectation) when, listening
to people  -  as you have to do 
when you're a kid  -  taking all
that to heart, all those ways and
stories about what life is going 
to be about, when I'd guess it's
right to say I got so full of the
expectations and the ideas of
righteousness and all things
turning out right for me later
on, that I just sort of shut
down and let it, maybe, run
on automatic pilot. Which is 
when I lost the thread. The
thread of whatever it was
supposed to be anyway. I 
found my own, started anew, 
and just let it go at that. There
was no use explaining. Landing
feet first, the double quadrant
circus-leap from Bayonne to
'Avenel' was too much. I think
I first went crazy, at age 4.
-
If the page, once written, is like
a heart attack, if it strikes that
harshly and that seriously, I hope 
it's only so for the reader, not the 
writer. I take various insurances 
out on myself by writing this 
material  -  funny in a way  -  
because  'insurance' is about 
risk, and I take lots of them. 
All writers do. But, actually
I'm not insured at all. Insurance
people, over time, have been 
allowed to flip, by process, the
entire means (buying off and
lobbying politicians; a very
strong Insurance Industry
lobby throws lots of money
around) of insuring things  -
but they no longer want risk. 
They have forcibly mandated
that you must just have certain
insurances, which idea used to
be that you'd pay them money
every so often, and they'd
accept the risk  -  that a tree
won't fall on your yard, house,
or car; that your awning or
deck won't collapse and
injure people, etc. Now they
send people around, first, 
before they renew, township 
policies and commercial and
homeowner policies too. I've 
seen it with my own eyes, and
heard it with my own ears  - and
it's no longer right, or even
American. It's all pussy-whipped
stuff now, and the she-men these
days get away with it. 'We will
not renew, unless the following
notifications are met...that tree,
and this limb, and that lean-to,
etc, must come down before
we'll renew you.' And they have
the power to refuse you! Funny
how I thought the whole idea 
was about risk, and the 
risk-amortization, that goes
with the 'Insurance' racket.
Have you ever looked at, say,
Avenel? The beauty of trees on
a lunar landscape is a scarcity.
Something stinks in Denmark.
-
I always considered things 
like insurance and permits and 
inspections to be crap, real 
mass-man stuff. I'd sworn
off, early-on, anything to do
with being mass-man. My entire
philosophy of life  -  and, once I 
made it to NYC, all those around 
me as well  -  treasured their own
personal moments and thoughts
and lives, and had nothing to do
with the common run of the
mass-man surroundings. Even,
mostly, the rich kids; they may 
have come from money, but
in listening to them talk, you'd
fully expect them to kill their
parents as they slept. In fact,
the rich ones were probably the
worst  -  the craziest, stick-anything
-anywhere girls were the wealthy
ones. It was amazing. There
weren't too many 'tender' loving
stories coming out of those families.
I think art corrupts the brain a bit,
so probably this was a stilted
sampling of the rich. Art world
people, art-school brains.
-
I was just a piece of crap brat, I
knew that, but I detested my parents
as well, for ever leaving Bayonne,
which  -  for sure  -  was a piece 
of crap example of 'urban' but it at 
least was urban. By age 4 I'd just
began settling in to that sort of
environment, and they mucked it
up by dragging my youthful butt 
18 miles down the river of no return,
to 'Avenel.' Or, as I liked called it,
'a venal place.' There wasn't, after
that, much to go on but blind
memory. It was a scar, a wound,
and it wouldn't go away. I still
wanted all those tugboats and
the river traffic of freighters and
tankers crawling along the Kill Van
Kull for NY Harbor. I was but 4
years old and I already knew I 
was missing that  -  the air 
hummed with a kind of mix there
of oil, diesel, grime saltwater,
and work. The guys were tough
and rugged harbormen. No crap
was allowed. You want insurance,
you say? Insure this! And a
knuckle sandwich was yours at
the nearby Frankie Fist Waterfront
Diner. That's how I wanted to live,
and I already knew it. Those
immediate post-WWII years
were a treasure  -  people were
still having nightmares, and night
sweats, about it all. They assuaged
their preponderant anxieties by
walking the waterfront, or slumming
at Uncle Milty's  -  a weird, waterfront
amusement-strip right outside our
windows. Men, and women, (and
yeah, they were separate breeds
back then) were different. Booze
and cigarettes went with the
territory  -  love, life and lust
too, most probably, though
at 4 years old I never got that
aspect, obviously. 
-
I'd watch, carefully, what adults
did and were. Summer men, with
rolled up shirt cuffs on his sleeves,
maybe with a cigarette pack somehow
woven into the twist. Many times,
a toothpick graced the mouth. I
never caught the real gist of that.
My father was a Camel-smoker,
back then. He eventually gave
it up, weaning himself with
a hundred packs of 'Chiclets'
gum a month  -  a weird, hard
candy coated gum that never 
seemed worth much to me. But 
the packs had this cool little
clear cellophane window that I
always liked, and the candy-gum
was packed in two rows of, I
think maybe 8 each, making 16,
and when the window no longer
showed 'gum' you knew you
were down to the last 2. I suppose
that was the idea. Anyway, it
got him off cigarettes, after a
long time (in Avenel by then).
Back then, too, it was really
unfair  -  the Army, or any of the
armed services, would force-feed
soldiers cigarettes, to counter the
tension and anxiety, just handing
out free packs everywhere, and all
these guys came back cancer-addicted
for sure. That was the later 1940's.
By the year 1960, smoking-related
cancer deaths had become an
epidemic, as it finally caught up to
all these moronic guys, what they'd
been trained to do  -  slowly kill
themselves, for Uncle Sam, who'd
kill them swiftly in battle first, if it
came to that. People back then
were always dying from smoking-
in-bed fires, another cause celebre
you hear nothing of anymore. That
Uncle Sam asshole was a precious
dude. He really ought be thanked.
-
I realized that I was born among
a people, an entire nation, that was
still stunned and delirious. The
spiritual and soulful feeling I
had  -  I have to admit  -  was that
I had little to do with any of this,
had been among these people
before, and in other situations and
places (reincarnational-wave stuff), 
and that my own exceptionalism
had been granted to me for purposes
of drawing out, and assisting, these
people. It was a sore and sorry world,
and Uncle Milty's was, for me, a
front seat for viewing the oblivion
express as it rolled along, by me.
The Bayonne Bridge was off to my
right  -  at such a closeness that I
could touch it. The sights and the
sounds of the harbor were a constant.
Mysterious nighttime lights  -  of tankers
and tugs, of Uncle Milty's arcades and
custard stands and beer tents and
trysting places; all the noise as
it amounted to one thing and one
thing alone   --  Hammer-thrower God,
ruling the streets. That's what Life
was about.
-
When people talk, they mostly only
talk about the good : that's all they
want and that's all they concern 
themselves with. Here's an example,
just one, out of a hat; the kind of
mishmash small-talk crap that people
do when visiting each other or
sitting around : toilet paper, paper
towels, tissues, napkins. Paper
production is one of the most
insidious and befouling processes
you can come up with  -  run-off,
residues, dyes, softeners, toxins, etc.
It ruins waterways. Its runoff befouls
creeks and rivers, etc. I kills wildlife
and vegetation. So, what do people then
set out, in their small-mind way, to
talk about? The wonders of their
new find! How they love those new,
scented, thick rolls towels by
Proctor and Gamble, or the new
super soft-absorbent 'Wipees'
by International Paper. Yes, they
actually talk about this crap and
totally leave out the death and 
destruction which comes from having
88 kinds of paper-towel rolls in
a supermarket aisle, for sale.
55 sorts of scented toilet paper.
Restaurant-sized napkins that
almost seem like cloth! Nothing
about the pollution, run-off, waste
and odor of the production process.
It's ecological warfare on a dying
planet, where the corporations making
all this redundant sludge prosper,
and the responsibility for preserving
the dying planet is, by edict, somehow
foisted onto the little man at his
garbage can to take care of. It's a
travesty, and I think any of those
dead-now Bayonne guys, with their
toothpicks and cigarettes, could have
wiped the planet clean with one
broad swipe. But they failed. And
they're all gone. And now what we're 
left with is the crap they started, and 
they accepted,  and all which led to this.
That's a real heritage for you.







No comments: