Sunday, January 6, 2019

11,451. RUDIMENTS, pt 557

RUDIMENTS, pt. 557
('book 'em, Danno,' part one) 
It's sometimes all you 
can do to stay in place
Meaning, remain in place :
in the context of meditative
contemplation of the very
moment passing through.
I've had some pretty weird
later-life moments myself,
along the way. Such as?
When I first got the job at
the bookstore in Princeton,
after leaving Barnes & Noble 
for that job, serving the
University community with
what was to be the University
coursebook and bookstore
adjunct, fairly cool gig, they
sprung on me, after the fact,
that while the physical store
and location were still being
built, on Nassau Street, they
hoped I'd not be amiss to
traveling each day to 
Millwood, New York (just 
off of Chappaqua, about 90
miles along, from where I 
was living). The idea was, 
and was already underway, 
that three of four others, and
myself, were to be, by computer,
'inventorying' the store, before
it was built; expected to be, in
perhaps, eight weeks. I figured,
'well, I've gotten this far, might
as well stay with it.' I had a
halfway decent car, and sat 
myself down to figure this all
out. (I called this my 'yellow
sweater job,' because I'd never
before so geeked myself out,
haircut, clothes, etc, AND a
with a yellow sweater that I
wore to the job interview that
clinched it for me). All the 
actual 'books' were up there, 
in that warehouse, and after
we entered them into the 
computerized inventory (by
subject, author, ISBN, etc., 
etc.), they'd be crated and
put on skids for eventual
trucking to Princeton, and
placement within the new 
shelves, etc., of the location.
All well and good. Later on,
laughable enough, one of the
Princeton locals working for
us, with me, my staff, as it
were, in Receiving, politely 
refused a form of this work,
saying 'That's data entry. I
didn't take this job to do
data entry.' I thought that 
was pretty ballsy, and was 
impressed by her, let's say, 
chutzpah. (She's now, last I
knew, a happy and successful 
teacher in Brooklyn, as part 
of the New York City School 
System. Now if THAT'S 
not data entry I don't know 
what is!). I had never thought
of the work we were doing 
there in those terms, but really 
that's all it was; but that was a
modern, 'techno-kid's' term.
I'd never thought of anything
like that before, and found 
it an odd way to approach 
anything. All of life was data
entry, in some way, and, besides,
each item I handled brought me
knowledge  -  the book, the
subject matter, the author.
Anyway. I drove up their on
a dry-run, determining my
route, the time involved, and 
the rest. A lot of problems 
cropped up, but they were
unforeseen at first, and were
more of the sorts of things
that arose from my feeling
of being uncomfortable with
the enforced confinement
with other people I didn't know
and had just met  -  plus, at
first I had no clue what the
heck I was doing, and no 
one explained anything. So,
I just fell in, bluffing what
I had to  -  which all caused
problems later on anyway.
-
91 miles ain't hay. That's one
way to say it. I was sort of
flabbergasted, as I've noted,
by the entire request, but 
went along with it. It was a
little weird; no gas money
offered, or any of that. Tappan
Zee Bridge tolls too, for that
matter. One hell of a daily 
commute, for about 60 days. 
I had, fortunately, no car
trouble at all. I did shop
around up there for weekly
rates at extended-stay motels
and all, but they were ridiculous
and those prices, perhaps normal
to others, freaked me out. The
whole NJ Turnpike thing was
an outrage, timing was always
off, traffic, jams, accidents,
and construction. A few days,
it was downright hideous. My
routine came down to starting
out at 5:30, to beat most
traffic, and arriving for 7:30 
or so. We'd leave at 3, which
was good, to accommodate the
avoidance of traffic. Which
worked 90% of the time. The
others were all car-pooling
together (4-people) while 
leaving from Bridgewater each
day. Interestingly enough, they
would take 287 the entire way,
until it ended at the Tappan Zee
Bridge, and then go north. I did
that once or twice, but never 
liked it and found it to be longer, 
when not starting from Bridgewater.
I carpooled with them once, to
see if that would work, but it was
pretty cramped, the car was small,
and they really drove fast. It
all unsettled me, plus the two guys
asked a lot of questions of me  -  
politics, opinions, etc., trying to
get some info on me. I didn't
like that much either, mainly
because had nothing, really, 
and they were all high-faluting 
about theirs. There was a really
nice lady named Chris, and a
cool girl from Brazil too, here
for a while while her husband
went to Princeton. It all made
for interesting conversation,
and the Brazilian girl did a
lot of sketching too  -  I think
she was an architectural student.
The warehouse and stuff was
all rendered architecturally, in
these fairly precise, but yet
loose, drawings. With not much
else to go on, we talked about
Brasilia, the self-created 1960's
government-town capital city
of her country. It had been
built in the 60's as a sort of
pristine, techno-town, to draw
people inland. I was always
fascinated by it. Her too.
-
The other trouble I had was
lunch. They were a big lunch
crowd. I've always ignored it.
But here everything stopped,
and each day a bunch of money 
got plunked down for like 
eight-dollar sandwiches and
other things, and a by-design
lunch setting array had everyone
eating. Together and at once.
I never liked that stuff, but I
was afraid of standing out 
(imagine that!) or being 
doomed aloof, etc., so I 
wound up with a sandwich 
a day thing (from home),
and coffee, with occasional
group forays out for pizza or
hot subs or something. I
don't like eating during the
day. It's always a nuisance.
-
The other stiff-arm for me - up
there - was the management
team in place. They weren't
my sort at all, and there was
an unspoken friction from
day one, which I just tried to
either avoid or gloss over. It 
was a sort of pile-crawl personal
politics; about things I didn't
care of.  Anyone who wanted
to could be better than me,
and I didn't give a shit. But
they were somehow always
in the maneuver-stance of
letting me, or any others, not
just me, know of the difference.
Big deal. They held all the cards,
and we knew that, and so what.
That kind of limited discussion,
awkwardly, so that there was
nothing really human going on.
Just task and explanation. All
that penny-wise business stuff
I hated.
-
So, yeah, I guess I was a bad
fit; I was that everywhere and
had gotten long-used to it. No
matter. As I saw it, everyone 
needs a freaky-weirdo around.
Like a scent-spray in a bathroom.
Just call me Forest Glade.
-
This all went on for two months,
about, and I was glad when it 
ended. Getting established in
Princeton was a much easier
day. The premises still had
not been completed fully, and
the University itself had given
us office space for that last 
interim. It was down the block,
still on Nassau Street, about 5
blocks. Same stuff. Then the 
shelves were built, and we were
given access to that one, street,
level  -  so all the books than 
started rolling in too. More
computer entry (we finally
for the downstairs going),
uncrating, separating by
sections and categories, 
and than the actual shelving. 
More staff began hiring on.
More on that (Princeton
aspect) later.
-
About this time, up in Millwood
and Chappaqua, the Clintons had
recently moved into their home,
on Old Farm Road. It later was
built into more of a compound,
with Secret Service sheds and
other buildings  -  and I think 
they bought a neighboring
property/house on the same
rounded street too. Their dog
'Buddy' got killed there  -  run
over by a car, as well. I remember
that; sad moment. Chappaqua's
a big money town; nice as it
goes, and up the road from it is
Millwood, an old saw-mill
kind of place (hence the name,
I guess). Warehouses and
lumbermen and tree-cutters
and such, in structures along 
the woods and trails. There 
are plenty of large roadways 
around, Saw Mill River Parkway,
Taconic Parkway, and others.
Thornwood, and 'Pleasantvlle'
too, which, in addition was the 
home of the  campus-like setting 
of 'Reader's Digest' magazine, ' 
an almost-stupid 1950's type
compendium-monthly of bland  
info, stories and attempts at  
humor. I got to see that campus 
area too. In fact, it was on Saw 
Mill River Road. I liked it there.
The finny thing always about 
me, always, is that wherever
I end up going, I soon enough
want to live there. Of course,
economics crash-lands that
balloon, but that area of
Millwood was real attractive
to me, and there were lots of
cool old houses. I figured,
if the ones I could see were
nice, there must be some really
nice old heaps in the deeper
woods and smaller roads. And
there were, but nothing for me.
-
It often seems, though it's not
really ever true, that 'luck'  -  be
it good or bad  -  rules the day.
Everyone's life is a large pool of
circumstance and occurrence;
some call it fate and destiny, 
others just crank on about how
miserable things are. I've kind
of had it both ways; differing
aspects of my own life have always
just meant differing things for me.
Sometimes you witness stuff, and
other times you're part of it. That
might be the real difference. All
the fortunate stuff always seems 
like things you witness, while the
crummy stuff seems always to
be the things that are happening 
to you. It's a bit like an inversion
of Zen-detachment. But, really
you are not part of everything.
-
So, for some two months I did this
crap routine every day, and a few
times it got repeated on Saturday
or Sunday as we returned up there
to see things, look around, and
check the place out. As far as the
Millwood warehouse work went,
that all went OK  -  I got the hang
of things, learned how to get by,
kept my feelers and antennae out
for the sort of people I'd be dealing
with  -  different breed, for me, for 
sure  - knowing that back in the
Princeton location we'd have to be
together. Funny; that didn't work
out. They were soon enough all 
gone, and only I lingered behind,
staying on the job while all else 
around me changed, personnel, 
job duties, and process. There were
some days I cursed that damned
yellow sweater; other days I was
real glad I'd worn it.
-
(end of pt. one, 'book 'em...')





No comments: