Sunday, December 31, 2017

10,354. RUDIMENTS, pt. 181

RUDIMENTS, pt. 181
Making Cars
I'd never been told much about
things from my father, in the 
short time I had anyway. He 
seemed always under a lot of 
pressure, whether to get things
done or to somehow surpass
some invisible goal of showing 
he was as good or better than 
other guys. (It never worked out).
It colored everything he did, and I
never figured it out. I couldn't think
why someone would want to live
that way  -  those were things that
just weren't important in my mind, 
what someone else 'saw' you as, 
or where you yourself were within 
some 'pecking order' of what really 
was your own imagining. Yet, to him 
that all was important, and it was 
pretty sad too, in the sense that the 
achievement being sought was not 
really anything special at all. It was 
all bargain basement stuff. When 
you're all caught up in the low end 
of things, every little extra clothespin 
means an advancement, yet to the 
'other' class to whom you're trying 
to show, another dumb clothespin is 
a really bad effort. These were all 
people together in the same strait 
of circumstances, no part of which 
really had glamour, gain or actual
achievement. It was as if the contest 
was in having a better Chevrolet than
 the next guy, but never breaking out 
to have a Buick or a Cadillac or Lincoln, 
to use a paltry example. So it was like
 a really bad running in place. 
Nothing there for me, treadmills 
were never my forte.
-
It didn't even matter, because 
I was always on my own orbit 
anyway, but I had to contend 
with what all that left behind : 
the television always being on, 
my father laughing at shows, 
comedies and cartoons, and 
westerns, always westerns  - 
where I guess the 'good' or 'best' 
guy always did somehow overcome 
hardship and contention and best 
the bad guy. Same story. I do kind 
of realize now that this is all a 
late-life reflection of my now-dead 
father, and not really fair to him. 
But, that's the breaks of this game. 
Life is action and action is chance. 
Getting stuck in psychological 
ruts is neither. Whatever the 
deal of this life, however it 
works, we are each born into 
our own peculiar set of 
circumstances, and I certainly 
never understood mine. I couldn't 
fathom why I was born into that 
station, situation, or place. It was 
all so weird. (Or maybe I just have 
an exalted opinion of myself).  I 
could never much see value in 
the things others held up as 
valued, nor could I ever quite 
view the absolutes by which 
they opposed everything. It didn't 
HAVE to be one way or the other, 
there were always shadings and 
mixings, blendings of approach. 
My world was much different 
than theirs, and his. There was 
an old philosophy joke I heard 
somewhere, maybe that John 
McLaughlin guy who taught 
Philosophy at Elmira. It was a 
little bit dumb, but I always 
remembered it   -   'The rich man 
built the log cabin he was born 
into with his own bare hands. 
And if the poor weren't born 
with talent (to build their own 
and rise out of it) well they 
should have thought of that 
when they chose their parents.' 
It's kind of an almost mean-natured 
cruel joke, trying to say that the 
people of privilege, though they 
were born in a higher station, still 
worked it through by their own 
hands and pluck, and if everyone 
else couldn't get to their station 
it was because they weren't 
good enough  - and tough on them.
-
The ancient Greek philosopher 
Epictetus (not really 'ancient, 
more about 55-100 A.D.), said 
'some things are out of our control 
and some are not.' He meant things 
other than what I am writing of 
('in' our control: opinion, pursuit, 
desire, aversion, and our own actions;
'not in' our control: body, property,
reputation, command, and whatever 
are NOT our own actions) and it 
never made much sense to me 
anyway, but I always figured 
doing nothing to be an action as 
well. So I always stepped away, 
and into DOING something to 
get out of the situation. I don't 
know if I had any control over 
getting smashed by the train and 
losing a big clump of time, but I 
do know my other choices were 
mine, and pretty much for the 
purposes of 'action' of doing 
something to remove myself, 
as a minor could anyway. 
Seminary, remaining alienated 
and out of it, taking off for 
NYC immediately after the 
untold misery of high school, 
art, the streets, the deep country 
isolation, getting away and hiding  
-  each of those actions were 
initiated by me, and carried 
through. (For one thing, I simply 
kept 'changing' my life) Jean Paul 
Sartre had it thus : when events 
go awry, we can say we had bad 
luck and leave it at that. Which is 
all well and good, I guess, when 
one's luck has already gone south. 
But that sentiment doesn't hold 
when there's still a chance for a 
decision to be made. Then, doing 
nothing is a decision. All we have, 
as humans, is the ability to act. 
We each have that, at least. My 
father's example just always 
seemed to be running in place, 
and never reflecting upon that, 
certainly never talking it over 
with me. His problem, as it is 
with most people, was repeat 
behavior. Over and over, the 
same course of action  - having 
kids, expanding thereby the 
house, need for space, energy 
and work needed for doing 
that, cost and expense, etc. 
Over and over. As the kids 
aged and grew, and he and my 
mother aged and, bit by bit, 
diminished, the hole kept 
getting bigger. But nothing 
was ever done about it  -  the 
same behavior(s) remained. 
Eventually it bests and wears 
down the human animal. Needs 
and necessities  - all those kids 
growing they want schooling and 
clothes and cars, vacations, etc. 
The next you know, the black 
hole of Calcutta's got you by 
the proverbial balls.
-
So when I finally did get away,
I was determined to make each 
of my new places 'New'. Or
nothing at all. The city worked
well enough for what I'd sought,
as would have, I guess, Chicago
San Francisco, or London or 
Paris. Those remain unknowns. 
The way life is, it seems the
pretense of control runs things. 
I was as opposed to that as I could
be. Social planning. Cures that
are worse than the disease. The
key assumption, sadly enough, 
that everyone walks around with,
is that when something goes
wrong, someone or other must
be to blame  -  that false assumption
wipes away the workings of fate
 and fortune, the workings of
'ACT,' which is what Humanity, 
after all is all about. No one 
'handed' Adam that apple, let's 
say (using a real crummy example);
he chose to ACT for it, and did
decide to take it on his own.
Even if it did get stuck in
his throat.

No comments: