Saturday, December 23, 2017

10,331. LISTLESS ACTIVITY

LISTLESS ACTIVITY
Yes, yes, do the math and take it home.
Look at the lucky crowd, savage and wild.
I took my Cadillac to Asbury Park and
everyone was watching, down by the water,
where I would park. It didn't much matter,
ice can't form on a salt water sea.
-
All this largess. The cross on the church
was shining  -  Our Lady of the Ocean.
I looked out, and thirteen men were lifting
their arms  -  it was a sight, a sampling of
reveries. Mission men and visiting nurses.
Attendants mocking the daylight hearses.
-
There's a rest home along the water, filled
with lethal men. Old criminals and failing
Mafia dons. This is the way all things once
were. Along the sandy beachfront people
walked in Winter coats : star-foils and
New York Giants, weird sports logos and
the kinds of things you can't find in stores.
-
I have a hunch it's the end of days;
there's nothing left anywhere, least alone
to praise. Time has its own logic, sings its
own tone; things roll along, humming.
It doesn't much now matter, what I see:
Ice can't form on  a salt-water sea.

No comments: