Friday, December 8, 2017

10,269. RUDIMENTS, pt. 159

RUDIMENTS, pt. 159
Making Cars
Well, I never envisioned myself
being this old, but whatever would
I do about that now? I came into
this life without cheering and I
suppose that's the same way I'll
exit  -  I just hope not real soon.
I close my eyes. What would I
go out with? Images of 'dodge
ball' in that crazy basement room
in old School 4? Or walking the
ivies at Princeton while clutching
a Small World coffee? That's a
pretty fair lifetime stretch, even
if it wasn't until age 56 that I got
to Princeton. My first real telling
moment was (another one) about
1959 when I got caught up in
seeing, probably five times at
least, some movie called 'Invaders
From Mars.' It was a movie somehow
made in 1953, but not brought my
way until '59, when I saw it at the
old Woodbridge Theater, on Main
Street. Before it was long ago torn
down, that was a favorite spot of
mine. Whatever it was, an old, rather
small, single-screen theater with
continuous showings of the same
movie, over and over (meaning you
could, and by watching, unbothered,
over and over, really get to know
a film really well). No one ever
bothered anyone, it seemed, maybe
as long as you occasionally bought
a box of candy or popcorn or something
along the way. It was a nice way to
get lost, back then, being a young kid.
So, transfixed as I was, that movie
held my attention and represented,
for me, a real imagistic portrayal of
myself. It was pretty weird how I did
that. The gist was: a young kid, witnesses
a 'landing' of aliens (from Mars), realizes
what's going on, no one believes his
story, it's all kept hush-hush. His parents
and other adults, the cops, the authority
figures, by means of an implant into
the back of their skulls, become part
of the 'others'  - the ones the Martians
are taking over  -  and everything the
kid does or says falls on deaf ears.
Panic ensues everywhere...all that
stuff. It somehow  spoke to me, the
panic, the anguish in the stupid kid's
face and posture, the drama of the
situations, the others, and especially
the little girl other, who raptly kept
my attention too. Looking back at it
now, it seems unviewable and hokey.
I can also now very easily read the
unspoken, cold-war subtext of Commies
versus US. Of course. In the same vein,
but never as exhilarating, were
Journey to the Center of the Earth,
The Time Machine, and a bunch of
Haley Mills movies too. None of
them, however, transfixed me in the
way that 'Invaders' did. I liked it back
then when all movie houses were
single screen and only showed one
film. Now everything's a 'plex' of
this or that and all the scattered
movies are junk. I mean Junk  - 
unwatchable. That entire industry
 has changed  -  films. The cameras
now are always on the move. They
never stay still. The'action' you see
is false and fabricated and is always
activated FOR the camera's pan, as
it moves across a scene, the rear of
that scene then coming up for the
cross-shot, which in turn gets the
idea of movement and passage across.
But it's all false. Another problem with
films, then and now, but worse now,
is the music 'behind the scene'. In the
old films it's always going on, active
and swelling, but not in the foreground;
it sort of happens and you don't realize
it, nor do you realize you're answering
to the 'emotion' it's bringing up.
Sometime around Scorcese, or 1972
or something, they all began changing
from that older-style music (Elmer
Bernstein, Bernard Hermann, 
Nino Rota, etc., and the other 
film-music guys), to simply using 
contemporary music, mostly 
'rock n' roll' tunes (which always
carry their own baggage) in films.
You knew then that every piece
of music was going to bring with it
its own references, probably different
for each person. Iconic stuff. That's
a problem. The universalism is lost.
You get the sense you're being steered,
led, used. And, anyway, that all became
a science, 'moviemaking' in that vein,
once the film-school industry got
hold of it and all real story-line
work-development disappeared.
-
I can carp about this all day, but 
it's not worth doing. What I need 
to do is make the distinction 
between things : In the sense 
that my life was once part of all 
that old-school stuff, and then it 
was all taken from me and I evolved 
out of it all. I used to sit and listen 
to my grandmother, whose days 
ran from 1901 onward, as she 
would tell me the stories of her 
young days, the horse-men, the 
deliveries, the clomp-clomp through 
the streets, the blocks of ice and 
the fresh vegetables and fruits sold 
everywhere, carts,wagons, storefronts.
Just the old ways of things and how 
they were done. I never knew how
she rolled into the modern world 
of my youth so easily  - she'd 
take the bus to Journal Square 
from Bayonne, or she'd get to 
Penn Station, Newark and take 
the train to Avenel. She was 
always alone, and adept at 
reading train schedules and 
making the connections and 
all. In her old-world way. It 
was something foreign to me; 
we'd just jump in a car and get 
to where we were headed. For 
her and her world, by contrast, if 
it wasn't us picking her up or 
bringing her somewhere, she'd 
do all these plodding and tedious 
things, including walking to and 
from places, as if they were all 
nothing,  just part of life. The old 
way. Never a complaint. Plenty of 
stories. Everyone she'd known was
a 'greenhorn'  -  her term, or her 
generation's term, for immigrant, 
someone who didn't know the ways
and customs. I remember vividly 
as she told my father, in the car one 
day, about a man who'd accosted 
her in an elevator, exposed himself 
and demanded sex. She laughed 
him off, curtly telling him to look 
at himself, 'yeah, and you probably 
need a derrick to get it up.' Even 
though I knew what a derrick was, 
from oil-rig knowledge, I had no  
clue what she meant to say by that. 
I guess she was pretty gutsy.
-
There wasn't much else to go by, 
early on. My life was one, large 
learning-motion, and I didn't have 
any rear-guard support. Not much 
in my house revolved around 
knowledge. It wasn't only until 
much layer that the thought hit 
me that my parents, any adult, 
for that matter, each had personal 
outlooks and stories and events 
particular to them. With or without 
knowledge or 'learning' thy were
all perfectly valid. I was merely 
an interloper trying to barge in.
-
I admit to being voracious  -  as 
a 10 year old, by 12 for sure, I was 
an intellectual vacuum-cleaner, 
trying to take in, absorb, everything 
I could. Words and memories, one 
by one  -  I didn't worry much about 
which 'school' it was of, poetry, painting, 
philosophy. All over the place, I didn't 
care. Logical positivism; yeah, sure, 
Mr. Wittgenstein, Mr. Russell. (Ludwig 
and Bertrand, respectively). I tried 
everything : Langston Hughes, 'You 
and your whole race look down upon 
the town in which you live and be 
ashamed, ' and 'I too sing America. 
I am the darker brother.' Langston 
Hughes died the year I want to NYCity.

No comments: