Thursday, December 7, 2017

10,260. EMILY DICKINSON

EMILY DICKINSON
(only kidding)
Not stopping for Death and so Death
kindly stopped for me  -  do you know
that one? I wrote a paper on it once,
for Mr. Steber, at Elmira College. He
gave me an 'A' but said he hadn't a clue
really what I was talking about, though
he wished he did and wanted to come
along. I said it was all conjecture I was
just shooting from the hip. But what a
shot you are, he said. Or may be. Why
added that at the end always bothered
me. I wanted to follow him home, secretly,
maybe see where he lived and bash in his
brains. I wondered if he had a TV and a
family, and all that stuff. This old poem
was meant to be about a lot more than him,
and more then he'd ever be. But I hadn't the
words quite to say it : he said he had to go,
would see me again on Tuesday, I said not
if I see you first. Yeah, sure, that seals any
deal. He's probably dead by now, that was
forty plus years ago, poor guy. I never did
catch back up to him to return his pen  - 
I'd stolen it while he talked, a nice silver
one, an Everwriter or something. Pure
hyperbole and I wondered if he knew that.
Nothing writes forever, certainly not
a twelve dollar pen.




No comments: