Saturday, December 16, 2017

10,300. CARTWHEELS

CARTWHEELS
They somehow skipped me as they 
were choosing up sides. I let it go.
It wasn't the first, and many tries 
before had failed. Yet, I was pretty
good, though I guess they'd never
see. That outlandish, petty bunch
of sidewinder kids thought the
universe ended at the portables,
where they hid. Sometimes it was
baseball  -  scratch-games with
choose-up sides, on a field with 
too many trees and no real bases.
Or it was cigarettes, mostly either
Marlboro or Kools. Or Parliament.
Better times were coming, oh boy
that we knew. Rounding the corner
of twelve, we were hunkered and
ready to go. I remember Anne Levin
came by one day, and showed us what
she had. We just looked, didn't even
know what to say. Just looked. Yep,
dreams were made of this, and we
were made of dreams. I remember
Jeffrey Lund, just gaping at Ann, and 
then he said, gape-mouthed too :
'You do cartwheels, with that?'


No comments: