Thursday, December 21, 2017

10,323. RUDIMENTS, pt. 172

RUDIMENTS, pt. 172
Making Cars
As a young kid, maybe 10,
one of the first really serious
books I read  -  keeping it all
to myself and really trying to
absorb it, was 'Autobiography
of a Yogi,' by Paramahansa
Yogananda. Very strange
choice, yes, I agree. Mrs.
Muccilli, at the very small
Avenel Library, (when this
tiny place itself had one),
used to let me take it and
renew it over and again. No
one else cared of it and there
was no demand for the book.
It was (I have 2 different
paperback versions here
now, and I still look in) quite
the eye-opener for me, and
I diligently stayed with it. I
was fascinated, at all times,
by the story he told, the
consciousness presented,
and the theoretical basis of
it all too. I made clear note
to myself how, compared to
other kids who were swooning
over Yogi (Berra) shilling for
Yoo-Hoo, (a chocolate-flavored
drink), my Yogi was completely
different. No hits, no runs, no
errors. In fact, no things; all
passes. (wrong sport, fool).
-
If you start out on such a
footing, how can you really
go elsewhere? I was never
the sort to slide backwards,
nor down. This person,
Yogananda, as presented,
was completely exotic to
me and had nothing to do
with Avenel or my own
boyhood. Oh how I yearned
for other worlds, or another
world anyway. At this time,
in Avenel and Woodbridge too,
there was very little importation
or arrivals of immigrants,
meaning that newer wave of
Asians who began hitting about
1965, after Johnson loosened
all those laws some. Because
of the proximity here to Merck,
Schering-Plough, and other
science-type companies, the
'garden' apartments (that was
the official name given back
then to those red or light-colored
brick complexes that were
suddenly everywhere. Low,
mostly one or two stories at
the most, spread out, with
campus-like but sparse grounds,
and parking areas  -  which had
the most importance), began
filling up with technicians and
science-types from these other
cultures  - the lab-coat crowd,
I called them. One after the
other low-level Merck scientists
or researchers, everywhere one
turned. I guess they made
decent money, in those days.
I never knew. Often they were
here, it seemed, without families.
Cloverleaf Gardens, in Woodbridge,
was the one I saw mostly (because
they had covered over my own
swampy playland at the tail-end
of Avenel Park, the neglected part,
to which I'd often ride my bicycle
as a kid  -  skunk-cabbage, ferns,
rocks, vines, and two or three
boggy ponds. They just ripped
it all away and built acres of
these Great Society era
garden apartments). On a 
very quick (short?) amount 
of time they'd be numerous 
and seen around (these 
small-science types). That 
was fine, but there was an 
omni-present cultural clash 
always about to happen. A a 
kid, trying to put together a 
personal being with all the 
backstory and valor of the 
old American past, it became 
difficult to understand or see 
these people, all about, on 
their own small agendas. It's 
problematic  -  I say  -  when 
a foreign instep tries fitting 
into an American shoe. The 
references were all wrong, 
none of our stories fit them, 
the things we'd just learned 
in school, or been 'taught' 
about our place and our history, 
as a country and a people, 
bore no sense in meaning or 
importance to them. It was just 
a different fit, giving meaning 
to the word 'alien' in those terms, 
for sure. It's different now, as, 
in forty plus years already, most 
people are since twice-diluted, 
mixed breeds by another degree 
or two. Everything's already shot, 
watered down, the schools are 
clinical madhouses, and no one 
really gives a good God-damn
for anything. But in these days 
I'm speaking of, certainly by 1966, 
that breaking divide hadn't yet really
occurred. By today's standards it's
almost impermissible for me to be 
writing 'they' when I talk about 
them as 'others. But, too bad. If 
it were 1911 and they were talking 
about dumb Italian immigrants 
who worshiped Popery and 9 kids 
each and smelly foods, it would
have been the same and they would 
have been talking about me. So, 
at least I felt it was equitable, that 
I took note of my strange bias. 
Except none of those people, the 
Italians, were technicians. They'd 
come at a different level, as laborers 
or apple-pickers. This was different. 
These were technicians, like this 
grade of 1960's Asians, from their 
own, precise culture, worried about
order and precision. Yogananda 
somehow represented none of that.
-
That was the striking difference, to me. 
Yogananda was OF that culture, in 
a peculiar sense, yet far and away 
past it all too. Nothing of the 
technocrat in him  -  although 
it's sometimes now said the religion
 reaches science as Science finally 
ends up at Religion, and I sort of 
get that, but that's accidental. He 
was broader and higher and far 
more cosmic. That's where it all 
became difficult to relate to others. 
I had somehow quit with this world. 
Approached from these other angles  
-  Vedic scriptures and utterly ancient 
teachings  -  the world is seen for 
something else. Way before the poorly 
equipped 'Bible writers' had amateurishly
tried their hand at re-scribing these 
hazy tales and stories, the Upanishads 
and even the Mahabarata, had done 
the same, more authentically and 
more factually. There really were 
objects, people passing between
lives, multiple levels of concurrent 
consciousness, and the rest. The 
world was expansive, not closed. 
And that's what I'd (amazingly) 
tapped into, never again 
to be the same.

No comments: