Tuesday, December 12, 2017

10,283. RUDIMENTS, pt. 163

RUDIMENTS, pt. 163
(Making Cars)
I always wanted to learn magic,
but never did, and then I realized
I never really wanted to learn it 
anyway. That sounds pretty circular
and stupid, and it probably is. In
my work-days I got to know two
magicians  -  I mean real magicians,
in the 'secret' federation of magicians,
the guild that covers all that. With
secrecy. They have these really
stringent rules and procedures, and
if a 'real' magician is caught giving
out trade secrets or otherwise
compromising the society and its
aims, there's big trouble. They meant
business, as much as Masons or
Knights Templars meant business.
One of these guys is dead; his name
was Martin and he was already 
old when I met him. Old-line and
old-school. But he had a good
reputation within the guild. He
died like a few hours or a day maybe
after a hip-replacement operation.
How many old-time adventures 
and secrets went to the grave with
him, I wish I knew. The other
guy, much younger, like by 40
years or more, was named John.
These two, although they were 
aware of each other, and at the 
the print shop did occasionally
cross paths, there was a dislike
by the old guy for the young guy,
who he felt dishonored the profession
and was a glib fool, by doing kid's
parties and shows, donning clown 
make-ups and costumes, twisting
balloons, and all of that. I never
got in the middle of any of it,
mainly because I didn't care and
I saw it all as generational anyway.
Competitive stuff. The old never
like the young.
-
I used to talk to Martin  -  not so
much to John  -  about magic and
stuff, and it got pretty interesting. 
Martin had these theories and ideas
about the 'screen' of the other world
just beyond the divide of our eyes  - 
a form of 'alchemy' of the natural 
world, which he knew how to tap,
and which was the root of real 'Magic'
anyway. Lead to gold. Dross to
treasure. He said the alchemists of
old, always in the employ of great kings
and/or sorcerers, knew how to transform
the world and had originated magic from
those roots. Only a certain, privileged
number at any one time on Earth alive
could share these secrets. That was one
reason, he said, the Guild protected the
secrets. Too many to know, some not
worthy, had to be killed. It had been
happening for a thousand years. Sorcery.
Magic. Alchemy. Charms. Even raising
the dead. He said Jesus had been a
magician. A carpenter-magician, which
was the cover-story, like Geppetto in
Pinocchio, another cover-story, who
invigorated carved wood objects he'd
first 'make' and imbue with his own
magical spiritualism. Yeah, it was
all pretty deep, and made me look 
twice and again at any rabbit I'd see
jumping out of a hat, white gloves
holding the hat, or not.
-
John, on the other hand, was pretty
much the childish version of his
own persona. Kid-like, round, red,
chubby, cute about things, kiddie
magic-shows in church basements,
Saturday birthday parties for eight
year olds. Sandwiches and cookies.
Smiles. I couldn't ever expect anything
metaphysical crossing his lips. I'd do
some printing for him, always late and
rushed, for a really close-up date (his
lead-times were horrible), and I'd 
nearly every time end up delivering
to him too. He lived in South Plainfield,
and on Park Avenue there was, back
then, an ice-cream shop and stand
called 'Bandy's.' We'd meet there,
amidst sprinkles and sprills, kids
and laughter.
-
It made me think a lot about magic, 
and what any of that was all about. 
I never really knew what these guys 
were up to, the presentation, the 
business, or the seriousness, or not. 
Part of the mystique, I always thought, 
used to be mysteriousness. Thus the 
old-world approach of Martin, against 
the frilly approach of John, and the
vague animosity between the two.
Pretty weird. One thing, also, that
I learned from Martin  -  and I'd
never faced this before, and it threw
me big-time at first exposure : He
could vary, totally and completely,
from one day to the next. One day, a
morning of happiness and greeting, 
a feeling that inside me that I'd
really made it with this guy, gotten 
through; and then the next day, or
another day, he'd be the most mean,
nasty, gruff and unfriendly person
you'd ever meet. Like it was
an imbalanced chemical thing
going on and completely without
any predictability. There used to
be a hardware store chain called
'Rickel's'. One morning, on  a Saturday,
I drove into the parking area there 
and saw Martin with his head under 
the hood of his old, green, '72 Imperial
He drove that for a long time, A real
monster of a car. It had broken down 
and refused to re-start. He was madly 
tinkering away, going at it. I figured,
'what the heck,' and I went over to 
help him. In ten minutes or so, we got 
it going. From that day on, and ever-after,
we were pretty good friends and he was
always in fine fettle around me. If I was
an alchemist, I'd say he was gold.

No comments: