Wednesday, December 6, 2017

10,259. RUDIMENTS, pt. 157

RUDIMENTS, pt. 157
Making Cars
Hard to believe though it may be,
when I first got to Inman Avenue,
in its unfinished state as I've mentioned,
most of the environment around me was
still rough cut and wooded. You'd not
know that now, as the residents of the
town have somehow been convinced
that a bare and tortured landscape is
next to Godliness. How all that got
started I'll never know, but thank
goodness I'm not a tree. Anyway, the
projected houses of my 'development'
(man, what a loaded word that was, ever.
It presupposes, of course, the rightness
of the 'developer's' very presence), were
not yet completed and piles of rubble
and cut-trees, etc, still littered mounds
and piles of dirt everywhere. The last
house on the block, for me, on the
left side facing Rt. One was the
Wolchansky house  -  John and Joanne,
twins, a year younger than me  -  and
past them, out to the highway, was the
trailer park and the junkyards, two of
them right there. And right after the
Wolchansky house everything broke
back into woods. There were two or
three giant old trees there, right about
where now there's the entrance to a
walkway-fence thing they built when
the newer homes were dropped in after
the woods came down (another, smaller,
'development'). The road right there was
still dirt, and rocky and rutted, single
lane, tree'd. In those trees, on those
trees, from those trees, the first maybe
three years there, on Spring and Summer
mornings we'd come out, to enter the
woods for a day's play (great spot) and
there would be early-morning possums
hanging from the limbs. I remember the
sight very well  -  they'd evidently hang
by their tails and, apparently, sleep the
night, into morning, upside down like that
until sunlight or whatever it was roused
them. Somehow Nature had equipped them
with tails that acted like clamps and locked
into position, and by which they hung,
suspended. To a young wide-eyed kid, it
was all very Nature-istic, amazing in fact.
And I could see it with my own eyes  - 
all while everything else around me was
slowly being de-naturized. Even the milk
which was delivered daily : the first
few years the cream would be at the to
and the milk (glass bottle) had to be
vigorously shaken to mix the cream back
into the milk. That too soon stopped, as
we got one 'homogenized'  -  meaning
'same' liquid wherein that separation
no longer occurred. So one one hand
I witnessed the pure Nature-fulfillment
of the possums, hanging, while at the
same time, (1954ish) the rest of the
natural land around me was being
destroyed and leveled. DDT had
just about eradicated everything
-  only rarely would we find a garter
snake or even squirrel. You'd never
know that from today's world, but
Nature back then was pretty quiet.
Larger birds, owls, hawks, pheasants,
deer  -  not a one, not a whisper.
Even the water back there ran blue,
from the Philadelphia Quartz factory
which just let it leech from the big
holding pond they had  over by
the railroad tracks.
-
It was doubly amazing in that, just
150 feet behind me, across the tracks
was actually a working farm  -  the
prison farm, but no matter. Each season
they planted, plowed, furrowed  and
then harvested and re-plowed for the
Winter fallow-season, those 200 or so
acres. Very, very few things were ever
seen  -  rabbits, crows, and all that. In
an almost eerie nothingness, that which
passed as Nature was ever only seen as
controlled by the hand of man.  Cornhusks
and tent-stalks and all that, but nothing
like you'd think. My parents, or any
other parents, never made mention of
any of this. The mosquito-spray truck
was welcomed in, always, and the rest
of it might as well not have existed.
Which it pretty much didn't. In the
next 20 years,the country would perfect
all that anyway, Monsanto and Vietnam
combining to half defoliate the natural
world and then carry it home. But that
too went unsaid. This was Gloryland,
and we were the finest. At least that's
the story kids got, from home AND
school. So, was there really ever any
truth? I'd guess not.
-
Growing up, all along, no matter where I
was, I'd observe lots of things. One time,
we'd driven to Washington DC (this would
have been 1956) and stayed in some sort
of cottage settlement of motels, little cabins
or something in a large semi-circle. This was
in Virginia somewhere, right out of DC, and
it was pretty southern. I remember all the
'tasks' being done by black people and that
was the only time you'd see them  -  carrying
stuff, cleaning, changing beds and things,
serving food, etc. One time  -  I recall this
well too  -  I mistook some black lady
charwoman, with a bucket and mop and
all, who was clomping across the lot and
field, for my grandmother (who'd taken
the trip with us). My grandmother very
much resembled a black woman, not real
dark, but dark and featured that way. We
always later 'joked' that she was part black
in her genetics, Northern Africa and all those
sea-faring guys coming up to the southern
tip of Italy, from where her family had come.
The mistake was honest, and it was a big
laugh at the time (thankfully; my father
usually got mad about everything). But the
mistake was made, and it just made me
look even deeper into whatever I'd see.
This trip too was my first experience with
'restaurants'  - except for Stanley's Diner,
on Route One in Woodbridge, which had a
Friday night fish special thing we'd go too
now and then and it had a special 'kid's'
menu in the shape of a fish. That was
pretty exotic. Anyway, I digress. Down
there, in Virginia, or along the tourist
highway or whatever it was, I was 
really taken aback by this scene  -  
we'd entered some sort of giant eating 
hall, maybe 50 tables, people milling 
all about, eating or getting food, with 
trays and such. In the center of the room, 
facing out 4 sides, was the serving and 
food area. Whatever you wanted on 
your plate, you'd go to that area and 
they'd loll it out onto your plate and 
tray, etc. This was ALL black people  -  
servers, cooks with big, white floppy 
hats, people in aprons, messy or clean, 
guys pushing carts of dirtied dishes, 
sing-songy ladies handing out trays and 
silverware, all pleasant and happy. It
was pretty amazing to me and I was
mesmerized, engulfed, taken in by the
amazing scene. I'd never before seen
so many people in one place doing the 
same thing. An eye-opener for sure.
-
America has never really gotten over 
race. I'm older now, and I know that.
Others do too, though they probably
don't admit to it or confess it out loud.
The whole topic is so off-limits and
politically incorrect now that it's best 
just to stay mute. When I was in Princeton 
those years, I'd see Cornel West often 
enough.  He'd be strutting around in his 
'Dignitary' guise, most often bloviating 
aloud to whomever was near to listen, 
about his own terns and views of injustice 
and entitlement and the rest. He was a 
cheer-leader for an anguished form 
of equality, with admittance of mistake 
first, please, thank you. Admit you
'screwed' us in the past. OK. Like any
one of those taking head opinionators 
you can see on TV most any time. They
get hired for their fifteen minutes. Man 
oh man, I would have loved to have 
Cornel West see all this with me,  
back then.
-
I feel that there are definitely different 
strata of people. Some are just dullards,
and they deserve that strata they're stuck 
in. I could argue equality, and whether
all people are really the same, all day.
My world is a lot different than the more
conventional view of things presented 
to me. I carefully say, 'No way.' John
Cheever once wrote - 'The constants 
that I look for are a love of light and 
a determination to trace some moral 
chain of being.' - I accept that totally. 
And then, thinking of those possums 
again, I add the rest of his quote, - 'No
simple matter in a world that lies spread
out around us like a bewildering and
stupendous dream.'


No comments: