Wednesday, December 20, 2017

10,319. IN A TIME OF WOE

IN A TIME OF WOE
The Maritime Institute is sinking
quickly  -  gaffe, hook, grappling.
Rope around the neck doesn't squeeze
as tight as those around this wreck. 
Haul out the seafaring troubles, throw
me a life-line brother. I can't read
any more books in this high water :
words spoil the page, glues and
bindings fall apart. I'm left with
nothing but some paper used-to-be.
-
Once, long before this, I tried buying
my way out of Hell. They said back
to me, "We only barter for souls; you
wish to play" I'd run out of things to
banter with, so without a response I
turned and walked away. That's when
this awful flood arrived.
-
Who can I delegate to when there's
only me? The serfs are all dead at their
tasks, the oarsmen, like Chinese stone
statues, sit still. It's brave to stand 
alone, it is said, but first you need
a principle to stand for.

No comments: