Tuesday, December 5, 2017

10,256. RUDIMENTS, pt.156

RUDIMENTS, pt. 156
Making Cars
I gave up on this country a
long time ago. It's only gotten
worse. A creeping allowance
for infantilism has taken over,
and apparently everyone else
agrees with it; so, who am I to
buck that? Rather, just walk off.
I used to think  -  and this is a
funny jaunt  -  things of that nature
were all modern-day stuff, of the
now, of the post-Disney, crap-laden
world we were given. But now,
as I listen back, even to some of
the things I used to revere  -  say,
Dizzy Gillespie, in 'Ten Tin Deo,'  -
'(Shoo-be-Doo-Bee,' so trite now),
what is any of that but a fairy infantile
music. Lots of that stuff was; all
those silly progressions and shout-outs,
riffs and trills, driving nonsense
phrases, swaggering stage-junk that
went with it, the funny puffed-out
cheeks, the tempo breaks and the
shifts. Besides the drugs and abuse,
booze and crime  -  what a bunch
of junk, most of it. Why wallow in
levels of subversive self-pity when
you don't have to?
-
When I first got to New York City,
to my eyes, that was one place that
had not yet been 'infantilized.' Perhaps
it had, yes, but not in any of the
directions I was looking. I don't
know from where any of that goofy
stuff began coming from, but it was
somewhere back the in the 1940's
when all these black jazz guys
started doing their dinner-club and
night-club routines  -  along 52nd
street and all that  -  when they
began thinking they had to lighten
up things somehow and start acting
goofy.  The rest of it all was fairly
brutal, a scourge of heroin, drugs,
drug-deaths and lost minds; black
jazz guys all zoned out and lost in
space. By the mid-sixties only the
tiniest traces of any of that remained,
but it was still around. I never figured
out the crowd who partook of all that
anyway  - really, who in their right
mind would want to sit, in a dimly
lit cove, and try to eat and drink, in
finery, while these forsaken black guys
badger about their intemperate jazz,
syncopated nervousness, lips and
trembling hands, drums and stand-up
bass guys, and  - most ingloriously  -
the stupid xylophone? No wonder a
form of clownishness stepped in.
-
The more attention any of it got the
more serious were the accolades paid.
I always figured it was out of guilt by
the white people listening. Atoning
for slavery and all that, by readily
accepting some black guy's groveling
into foolishness and a form of black
minstrelsy that was more black-real
than a minstrel-show ought ever be.
Even for me, I guess I liked Dizzy
Gillespie  -  or claimed to  -  because
I'd been told I should. Too bad, there.
The final days of Charlie Parker only
underscored the hideousness of the
scene, and his death, as it occurred,
put a perfect end to a lot of that. That
scene was  over. I began about then
actually disliking that rollicking
black sound of rolling laughter
you'd hear at one of these things
after an antic. Try to give 'My Gal
From Calico,' by Dizzy Gillespie,
again, for instance,  a listening,
and you tell me. Pretty pathetic.
I have nothing against fun, but I
hate sad fun. By the time it came
around for  -  finally  -  someone
like the transformed Miles Davis, to
actually get angry and give it back
to his white audience, play with his
back to them  and ignore them as
he went on his musical way, this entire
world was ready for its changeover.
-
I always worked hard  - writing and
drawing and painting, all of it  -  I
preferred having things around me
in a mess; all that middle-class idea 
of order and neatness drove me crazy.
An absolute nothing ever comes of it.
Stinginess, malice, meanness, anality.
My life was always a free-flowing river,
of something. If I had money, it would
have been that, as it was it was anything
else  -  good-feeling, possible comradeship,
or at least a kindredness to working it out.
Creative endeavors are different than any
other kinds  -  there are no goals of money
or attainment, and they don't use the same
standards, certainly not ones of neatness
and order. 'It was the way I must live,'
and the mind could make its own place  
- to make even a Heaven from this Hell.
-
One time, early on, I turned over a sheaf
of 'poetry,' I guess it would be called, to
a fairly well-established literary type.
He'd asked to see what I did, probably 
out of morbid curiosity (that's a joke), 
and told me he'd sit down with it, 
red-pencil it, look it over, write some 
margin notes and things, and give it 
back to me. Basically editorial BS, 
for which he was volunteering. I
didn't know what was up, nor was 
I that much interested in what he 
said he would do, because it was a 
bunch of nothing anyway. Academic 
exercise stuff. I almost wanted to say
'exercise, don't excise,' to him, but 
he wouldn't have gotten the joke. I
was hoping he'd ask what it all was
about and I wanted to say 'It's all in a 
secret key, a codified trek through 2000
years of our time.' But he didn't, so
neither did I. And, really, as a beginner,
I really turned over to him a crummy
bunch of stuff  -  I didn't know and
I didn't care. It was sort of Ferlinghetti-
style, with lots of brand-names and 
references of the cultural moment, etc.
The kind of stuff that doesn't last and 
why should it? All that stuff dates.
-
He eventually turned it back, scribbled
over here and there with little, enticing,
emendations, changes, suggestions, 
editings, and suggested removals. I 
was reminded  of the T. S. Eliot/Ezra 
Pound thing, where Eliot turned over 
to Pound this great, heaping mess of 
writing, and Pound returned it, most
perfectly cut and sundered into what 
has become now, all these years later, 
the perfect and classically-referenced-to 
Eliot poem, 'The Waste Land'  -  April 
is the cruelest month, and all that. This
person's  comments to me in essence 
amounted to saying  -  and perhaps it
was correct  -  that, paraphrasing,  'if 
you claim to be against so much of 
today and society, and all these things
you make mention of, by mentioning
all you validify them, in spite of what
you're saying.' A little tough to figure, 
but I think I know what he was saying. 
If you take it up, it's already yours,
you're making it yours, you still own
it. Better to just leave it be, abandon it,
and walk away. Find your own quest.
Or  -  anyway  -  that's what I take from 
it now, looking back. No annihilation
without representation!
(Or the opposite?).





No comments: