Monday, May 25, 2015

6788. I THEN LEARNED MY MAGELLAN

I THEN LEARNED 
MY MAGELLAN
To circumnavigate the globe you simply go straight.
Compass. Sextant. Astrolabe. I think all of this, anyway.
It was all a dream, by the way, and I did think I knew the
fellow, but everyone was following him with enthusiasm
too great and grand for what I knew of him. 'The Lecher of 
Keansburg,' they used to call him : one of those streets by
the Club Miami, where he'd bag a new girl, and often her
mother too, nearly every night. Amazing touch, those
monstrous fingers. Then he went back south, and last
I knew he was selling used cars in New Orleans, or maybe
Texas  -  so many other things have intervened.
-
To circumnavigate the globe you simply go straight. The
lesson book said that, but then it added the caveat 'beware
of obstacles along the way. It is not all water.' Had it said,
say, 'beware of popsicles along the way...' that wouldn't
have been so bad  -  they're only water anyway but in a 
different form. Things change, and then they hardly matter.


No comments: