Friday, May 29, 2015

6800. COCKLE THE MANUFACTURE

COCKLE THE 
MANUFACTURE
The man who looked like Columbus
said, "I've made everything work for me, 
don't you see. I've got no regrets." He's
just like that  -  a cauliflower ear in a no-duck
zone, fighting to the end and always listening
for the bell. Subtle differences reign. He'd never
tell. His life is an oasis; money, cars and greed.
-
The disastrous love affair his first-wife had  -
she always says  -  was with him. I ought to know,
I've kissed her twice. Once was in the bowling
league in old San Juan; eating peppers spiced
with something horrid, even hotter than her.
-
Another time, a cool, crisp Fall morning, I was
walking up the hill to New Providence, yes, and
I swear I saw her again  -  rising away in a dark
blue Subaru and looking at me the whole time.

No comments: