Sunday, May 24, 2015

6779. MY HEAD FOR RANSOM

MY HEAD FOR RANSOM
At the Paterson Falls I watched the water jump down,
the Spanish kids flee, and the two guys with their dogs
hang around. The noise behind me was waning : there
was a time when this Falls was really a roar, but over the
years authority has turned it down. To a trickle now,
and all subdued through pressure pipes and control-house
valves and nozzles. Pity it is, the place reeks now. 'You
can hold my head for ransom, but I know it's the rest
of me you want.' I heard some mouthpiece say that
as he walked by with a girl  -  I actually thought it was
pretty good. Alexander Hamilton, the King of these Falls
once, with his 'City of Industry' crap, I bet even he would
have nodded. 'We need the money, and we need the banking,
but we need the water-power here just as much.' Oh well, all
gone now  -  smithereens, Shit-City, dog-dump, Hell. The
things we've done to this land and country are enough 
to make me puke.

No comments: