Friday, May 8, 2015

6709. THIS IS ALREADY THE PAST TENSE OF TOMORROW

THIS IS ALREADY THE PAST 
TENSE OF TOMORROW
Like when it snows in July, I can assume
you'd call me up to tell. There are so many
things I do not notice  -  and I'd not want
that to pass me by. So call, even if it's just
to leave a message. I'll save a snowball in
my refrigerator, just for you, if you do.
-
I once knew a guy who left his sled on the
railroad tracks, just to see what happened. We
were just kids, and we'd often, anyway, leave
coins on the tracks  -  just to get them flattened.
Pennies got the flat, bare look of tan wafers; and
they never seemed to move. They were always,
still, right there on the track, where we'd left them.
Except thin and skinny and flat.
-
The sled was another story. Just got hit by the
train, and went flying, straight out sideways, nearly 
taking off her heads in the bargain. We lived adjacent
to some mainline tracks, and we all did junky tricks
like that : rocks and wood and, yeah, coins and a sled.
-
It's tangential, I know, but it all has something  -  I'd
hazard a guess  -  to so with that snow in July.


No comments: