Sunday, April 30, 2023

16,266. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,286

 RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,286
(you can only be blindsided when you're blind)
The simplicity of the human condition
astounds. Many, many times, between
A and B, unknown to them, there are
a hundred intermediate points. Yet they
simply go from A to B, thinking that's it.
If only they, or anyone, would grasp the
concept, so many more things could
get done. Each of those 'points' is a
stepping off point into another world:
one perhaps where consciousness rules, 
cancer and disease are no more prevalent
than a sneeze, and old age infirmities,
like memory, just exist, but do not grow
or progress. And this doesn't just go
between A and B; it runs the entire
circuit, M to N, and  R to S, all the
way down the line. Life is (almost) 
limitless in this regard  -  openings 
and opportunities abound.
-
The Breck Girl I've made mention of
had been, in her youth, around the world,
on fashion shoots, travel spreads, and
safaris too. The Studio work was in-house
NYC fashion industry stuff, but it came
with all sorts of connections. Piles of
money too, and I'd supposed contractual
residuals, swag, and connections. Pretty
good deal for some 20-year old beauty.
She certainly had more enthusiasms
about things than I ever did, and it
showed : she was ebullient, joyous,
and happy  -  one day going on about
a Christmas Party she was throwing,
another day wanting to take me, with
her, to the new Princeton Dog Park 
they'd just opened. It wasn't much 
of anything, as dog parks go, but she 
was beside herself over it. 
-
You can usually tell how comfortable people
are about themselves, and their money too,
by the manner in which they handle things.
Without a second glance, paying for an
expensive meal or a coffee and crumpet. 
It all just glides, without a second thought. 
They keep talking, right through the 
transaction. since it matters nothing 
to them. (I don't even really know what
a 'crumpet' is).
-
Money, apparently, is the dividing 
characteristic of most of life's matter.
For myself, it's always been the last thing
on my mind and  -  somehow like the
loaves and fishes thing  -  my God-graces
are adequate enough so that when I 'need'
something, or 'some', it's always provided.
I accept reality as the flow I walk amidst;
nothing to be controlled and ram-rodded
by me. BUT, I know many others who
worship at its altar (money), constantly 
going back to finagle more, using up 
every moment of their life and time to 
increase their lucre. Every effort that can
be put forth is put forth - to increase the
supposed accumulation of riches which
can be generated, and every waking 
moment is judged and reviewed by
what can be made of it and at what
return.
-
A nice stand of trees, say an acre or three,
(I've witnessed this), as nice as it may be,
if NOT viewed for its niceness. It rather
gets valued (as a must-have) because of
amount of harvestable timber on it. (They
call that like this: 'Those aren't trees, that's
timber.')...Eight thousand dollars, three 
weeks later, is turned over to him, for the 
trees, (cherry, oak, whatever, each tree
is valued differently) this new owner, who 
now possesses a stripped and newly bared
'plot' of land - chewed up, ripped and gouged
too. It's enough to make me ill, but it goes
on all the time.
-
(OK, gar, let's move on)....The Princeton
people were smooth, I admit that. There
were weird firestorms too, which swept
through for, to me, seemingly unnecessary
reasons. Like the issue of shoplifting. The
issue here was more of 'suspicion' than of
actual shoplifting. Yet, the bookstore here
implemented a shoplifting alert of sorts,
among all the Princeton students milling
about and waiting for the local, loose,
coursebooks on display. A few of us were
placed as 'book police' (?) to watch the 
stairwell and the activities going on. Like
paint drying, it used up time and not much
else. You'd think the Princeton kids had
enough money, and privilege, and also
University programs to lessen their 
oh-so-horrid book expense burden, but 
they always wanted more. Their recourse 
to theft, I was told, was paramount if 
unchecked. At B&N in Clark, we'd get 
shoplifters in, with booklists of what to 
steal and which titles to focus on, who
were, usually if not always, seen if not
caught. Cops occasionally would pull 
someone over leaving the parking lot, 
after a phone call was made with a car 
description and/or a plate number. Times
there were when such apprehension,
upon flipping open a trunk, was rewarded 
with a trunk-load of stolen books, along 
with maps and lists of which Barnes & 
Noble stores to hit. But this whole 
Princeton thing was different. Frankly, 
I think it was more unease and paranoia
that anything else. I don't think these
Princeton brats even had it in them to
steal, at least until they became bankers
and stockbrokers and hedge-fund managers
and pyramid-scheme operators. Actually,
more of the problem was within the store
than without. I always thought it was
pretty porous.
-
The Huck Finn character I mentioned? 
She was still around, yes, and pretty 
much had muscled me out of the way. 
I just gave up. At first it all was cute. 
Then it was annoying, and I realized 
I was doing all the grunt work, and 
he/she was gaining all the glory. No 
matter, and I mention it only for factors 
of documentation So I began being more 
friendly with the outsiders I'd deal with  -  
the drivers, freight guys, UPS and FedEx 
guys. They were definitely cool and more 
real-world anyway. Huck Finn had an in
with the 'girls' (?) which always baffled me
because she was purporting to be a male,
and they were females-only adherents. 
It all confused the fuck out of me and I 
realized I didn't know what a Lesbian, 
at heart, really was. Which was OK by 
me in any case. But, problems arose. 
She started sleeping there, overnight, 
in the store. I said nothing. The couch 
was nice enough, I guess. Her home-life 
was a shambles  -  some odd apartment 
in Trenton, and with a new, wild dog
too. Perhaps she needed the space and
the silence. I kept quiet, figuring there'd 
be no sense in making noise, and the way 
things went I'd end up having to defend, 
not the issue, but why I spoke up! 
In the beginning, each 6 or 6:30 pm exit
from a day's work was misery. I'd walk
from the bookstore to the train or to my
vehicle in an abject fear that I'd failed
again and that I'd soon be losing my
job. It seemed every day there was
another crisis and nothing as an
explanation, and it all just kept getting
worse and worse. Being scolded, or singled
out, well, it just all seemed wrong to me.
I was part of nothing, and all was running
against me. Selling books (which I wasn't
doing in any case) was a nightmare, like
doing dentistry with no training and no
license. People were walking around
with sore gums! Because of me? Huh?
In any case there seemed to be so much 
self-righteousness going around that
little else mattered. The early-morning
maintenance guy became my best friend
there. He was at least normal and sedate, 
even if we merely talked tools or
lightbulbs. One ally I found I did have,
in the store and on staff, for which I was
thankful  -  at least while she was there,
and then she was gone  -  was he nice woman
running the Kids' Department. I hated
children's books and that whole menagaerie
of stupidity they represented, but she was
a stalwart, smart, and prescient person.
-
There were things going on I never even knew
about. One crazy guy we had, who later went
to Philadelphia when he finally got assigned a
parish to rule over, was a Princeton Theological
Seminary grad whose wife was also the Princeton
University Chaplain. One day we were talking,
and he found out I traveled from Metuchen each 
day, by train, and then walked the rest. He became
euphoric over my efforts (they were not 'efforts'
at all), and he said 'Oh Man! That's so great!
Who have NO carbon footprint at all!'
-
Excuse me...carbon footprint? I had no
clue by what power he thought the electric 
trains ran on. I took TWO! He reminded me
of those electric car people always ranting
on about their saving the world. You can
only be blindsided when you're blind.

 

 



No comments: